PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting takes ages

dunno
12-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Could anyone tell me why it takes so long for my internet connection to disconnect, when I right click to disconnect it takes about 3-4 minutes to disconnect about 99% of the time, very few times does it disconnect immediately, it is a pain when someone is wanting to use the phone.

bob_doe_nz
12-11-2005, 09:41 AM
If your using something like Bittorrent for example, your internet connection generally waits for the remaining data to finish transferring before it disconnects.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2005, 10:19 AM
The other PC here, had the same prob with a useless dynalink modem.

I replaced it with an intel hardware based modem.

I dont think bittorrents have anything to do with disconnecting.

If u disconnect thru the dialup icon (if this is what u have), it should disconnect you from the net.

Whether bittorent file transfers have finished or not.

Metla
12-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Your modem is probally worth .004 cents, remove it, attack with hammer, cover the results with petrol and set on fire.

dunno
12-11-2005, 01:31 PM
My computer is an Xp hp pavillion quite new, do not know what bittorernt things are, my modem just came with the computer. Any other helpful suggestions apart from smashing and burning it would be most appreciated

zqwerty
12-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Try closing your browser and any other internet connected programs before disconnectioning the modem and see if that helps, then if it does find the program that is keeping the connection alive and just close that one in the future. On Win98SE when I disconnect it is instantaneous but my Win2K Pro is polite and will not disconnect until every program has finished whatever it is doing on the internet.

You could use this program to see what is connected:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

Metla
12-11-2005, 03:12 PM
That was humour, disregard the destructive suggestions....Muhahahaha.

anyway.....hp?

Nuff said.

mark c
12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I think zqwerty's on to it. I had some freinds' comp that wouldn't shut down properly (but OK this wasn't a problem with disconnection), anyway I discovered they would 'turn off' the comp from wherever they were on the internet. Wndows and tabs open all over the place and (at least) a browser running. Straight to the start button and Shut Down. Once I got them to systematically close down everything thery were using and then disconnecting and then going to the Shut Down things worked sweet. :cool:

Sure it's all coded in to do itself but step by step makes it easier on the machine. (IMHO) :2cents:

Metla: made me larf. :thumbs:

Metla
12-11-2005, 07:35 PM
As for any computer I would tweak up the OS if it was giving issues, HP machines are notories for being badly configured, and loaded with their own software that is not only using your resources but reporting on you and your habits.

A Spybot scan on a brand new HP identies numerous items of HP bundled spyware, and you most probally have picked up a few yourself in teh short time you have had the machine up and running. If your HP is still loaded with Bqckweb, wildtangent, Nortons, and your using IE then the best you can expect is a sluggish, non-responsive system, all of which can become appenrent when doing something as simple as hang up the line. On a comp in good health it should just do it straight away.

Now either you have

A. A crap modem (highly probale, all modems are crap, but some definitly more so)

B.A poorly set up computer (highly probale, they deliver in that state)

3.All of the above.

Do a system service, Dump all the temp and junk files, remove all the junk out of startup, Scan with spybot and adaware. And see if HP have some cracker Connection/Modem configuration software running (Ive never seen the logic in that one, how could it possibly do anything of any use?)

Anyhow, Its probally not letting it disconnect untill Backweb has loaded up all your internet history to the HP database.....