PDA

View Full Version : Borked XP system file

Catweazle
11-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Just started up my comp and WinXP failed to boot. It presented me with a 'cannot start windows. the file windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt. ' message. I'm assuming its corrupt as i can see the file from knoppix (thank goodness for liveCDs). It suggests i do a repair using the install cd. I tried that but got a little...lost, meaning I don't know how to continue.

Is there anything I can do? Can I run scandisk from the recovery console? Or will it be a fresh windows install?

Myth
11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Put in your Windows XP CD.
When it asks to repair or install, select repair.
Enter 1 when it asks what Windows install you want to repair
Enter the admin password (or just Enter if no password)
This should see you looking at a command prompt.

Then:

To quote from Kellys Korner:

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config , and then press ENTER.

Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

Reboot (with Windows CD out of drive)

Catweazle
12-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks Tazz, much appreciated. That kiiiinda worked. The drive letters got all messed up though and a lot of services refused to start. It was enough to let me burn backups after I'd restarted the imapi service though.

Ah well... It was about time windows got a reinstall. :badpc:

Vince
13-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Put in your Windows XP CD.
When it asks to repair or install, select repair.
Enter 1 when it asks what Windows install you want to repair
Enter the admin password (or just Enter if no password)
This should see you looking at a command prompt.

Then:

To quote from Kellys Korner:

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config , and then press ENTER.

Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3. If you can run the preceding command successfully, type ren system system.bak , and then press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

Reboot (with Windows CD out of drive)

:eek: That is a bit complicated for me. I will never remember it if I ever need it.
With Win98 I just ran the OS installation from the CD, everything was back to normal in 1/2 an hour. Cant you do that with XP? :confused: