PDA

View Full Version : DVD Double layer RW??

notechyet
11-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Hello to you all

I just wonder are there any double layer DVD RW available as
I would like to backup data on regular basis and that would be one option.
Imaging on double layer and rewrite over the next time over.
Any ideas?

Gion :blush:

Myth
11-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Considering the hassle with CD-RW and there unreliability, I think having a DVD+/-RW would be a worse idea (more data to lose)
There are lots of them out there, readily available in NZ

Google is your friend (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hs=xTI&hl=en&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&q=double+layer+DVD+RW&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryNZ) :)

notechyet
11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Tazz
Thanks!
I am thinking of Double layer DVD RW disks! Why do you think they are unreliable? Any different from a CD? or CD RW?

Gion

Myth
11-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Just saying... CD-RW have been around for ages, and are still notoriously unreliable. Im picking DVD-/+RW would also be unreliable, but that isnt proven fact.. so..

joshjnz
11-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Price wise it's cheaper to use 2 single layer DVDs. If it's anything like my DVD writer, it's probally quicker too.

godfather
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11790

"The most obvious hang-up for rewritable DL is that it's incompatible with the installed base of devices. This is due to optical signal levels lower than prerecorded media that will require hardware and firmware to be adjusted to accommodate the differences. Analogous to CD-RW's introduction in 1996, neither existing DVD recorders nor DVD players will be able to write or read rewritable DLs"

Not around yet as far as I know, and as eloquently explained in the posts above, relying on any form of RW media for backups is not a sound policy.

Due to the lower levels of reflectivity and inherent lower reliability that ensues from a RW dye substrate that is able to be reverted (erased) with just a slightly higher laser power, I would not call any file copy made to any RW media a backup, only a temporary copy that you probably can't read when you really need to.

Neil McC
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I've read somewhere that the RW's are very easy to damage as well, compared to +-R's.

Strommer
12-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Just saying... CD-RW have been around for ages, and are still notoriously unreliable. Im picking DVD-/+RW would also be unreliable, but that isnt proven fact.. so..

Well, 2 or 3 years ago I bought the cheapest pack Transonic of 5 CD-RW at the Warehouse and after using the regularly, have not had a single error or other problem with them. This includes using a wonky Liteon writer (that has now crapped out).

Have also used Dyson and Mitsubishi DVD-RW's without any problems.