PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a ADSL router.

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2005, 04:49 PM
If you use a ethernet hub?

Since a router, if it has ports for ethernet, it's the same as a ethernet hub?

Or is there a difference?

heni72847
09-11-2005, 05:02 PM
adsl router is sorta like a adsl moden + hub
if you already have a hub then you can just get a modem with an ethernet port and join that to your hub

the modem/router can get you online and the hub can't

so just for networking a group of computers the hub will do but to get online you'll have to get a adsl modem or router
can have both though..then u can connect even more computers together

that's my explaination..correct me if i'm wrong

SurferJoe46
09-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Here's the system I have:

...........after the NIC, there's Cat-5e cable to an Etherfast Cable/DSL Router (BESFR41~Linksys) then more Cat-5e to my Westell "WireSpeed" DSL modem, then to my phone jack via regular phone cable.

So..I use seperate devices, but there are some that are dual purpose. In SoCal USA, we get different service requirements per our ISP's (mine is Verizon.net). They set the protocol for whatever routers they feel we must use.

andrew93
09-11-2005, 05:19 PM
If you use a ethernet hub?

Since a router, if it has ports for ethernet, it's the same as a ethernet hub?

Or is there a difference?

In simplistic terms, as heni pointed out :
ADSL router = ADSL modem + Hub
Hub = Hub

No you don't need the ADSL router if you don't want / need to access the internet via the ADSL service, but I suspect you do.....
A

Terry Porritt
09-11-2005, 05:20 PM
This is not a bad site for a basic explanation:

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ics/diffrout.htm

Note that routers can come either with or without an ADSL modem. For example if you are on cable, you would use a cable modem connected to a router to provide TCP/IP packet routing and Network Address Translation, NAT, which a hub or switch cannot do.

If you go ADSL then a router/modem is used. These can come with multiple ports so that a switch or hub may not be required for small network. If you have a lot of computers networked, then a switch or a hub would be used.

I think that is the story more or less :)

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Ok, thanx folks for the info.

Much appreciated.