PDA

View Full Version : ADSL filter setup

Lizard
09-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Need some advice on the best way to set up filters for ADSL. My arrangement is as follows.

Two jackpoints:
- Jackpoint one is straightforward, servicing one phone - so one filter required for that jackpoint.
- Jackpoint two is not straightforward. the following devices need to share the jackpoint: ADSL modem, second phone, unspecified device (device 'Z')

The question is for the second jackpoint. Using double adapters, can a single filter manage this jackpoint? One way I see could be...

--->Second Phone
--->Line Filter ---> Double Adapter
Jackpoint ---> Double Adapter --->Device 'Z'
--->ADSL modem

This arrangement would have the line filter (with a second double adapter hosting the phone and device 'z') on one side of the double adapter, with the ADLS plugging into the second side of the double adapter.

Is there any issue for the line filter not being plugged straight into the jackpoint?

Hoping this makes sense,

Lizard

Greven
09-11-2005, 08:36 AM
You will probably have problems with your ADSL if you have any unfiltered devices apart from your modem on the same phone line. Why can't you run the double adapter off your filter & put the phone & Device Z on that?

Trev
09-11-2005, 08:50 AM
The filter is there to stop the phone noise interfering with the ADSL signal. All you need is a 3 connector adaptor plug your filter into one then your phone into the socket of the filter and your ADSL into the other socket on the filter. Plug other devices into the other spare sockets. Just as long as your other devices are not a fax machine or answer machine as they well need a filter too.

Trevor :)

drcspy
09-11-2005, 08:54 AM
standard double phone adaptor>>>>>>> one side....adsl filter.......other side.....jestream modem......on adsl filter double or triple adaptor then whatever other devices you have phone/fax/whatever........

the simplicity of the deal is this: the adsl modem does NOT require any kind of filter......the other devices DO.......

Lizard
09-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all your replies. It doesn't look as though my diagram came out right. What I'm proposing is to have the double adapter between the wall and the filter. The adsl will run into one side of the adapter (unfiltered), while the filter will plug into the other side of the adapter, and everything else will run through the filter.

Is it mandatory to have the filter plugged directly into the wall jackpoint, or can it run just as effectively off a double adapter?

Cheers

Lizard

drcspy
09-11-2005, 09:12 AM
what you are suggesting will work fine.........just remember what I said......

the simplicity of the deal is this: the adsl modem does NOT require any kind of filter......the other devices DO.......

godfather
09-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Provided the adapter is not a "privacy adaptor" which allows only one side to be used at a time, but is a plain double adaptor that will work. (These look the same but the packaging is clearly marked)

I have my entire house fed via one ordinary plug-in "in-line" filter (4 phones and 1 fax) that you usually use for just one phone.

Lizard
09-11-2005, 09:14 AM
standard double phone adaptor>>>>>>> one side....adsl filter.......other side.....jestream modem......on adsl filter double or triple adaptor then whatever other devices you have phone/fax/whatever........

Thanks drcspy, from what you're suggesting, I can put a double adapter into the wall jackpoint, and then filter off the non-ADSL devices, and run the ADSL modem off the second jack of the double adapter.

Cheers

lizard

Lizard
09-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Provided the adapter is not a "privacy adaptor" which allows only one side to be used at a time, but is a plain double adaptor that will work. (These look the same but the packaging is clearly marked)

I have my entire house fed via one ordinary plug-in "in-line" filter (4 phones and 1 fax) that you usually use for just one phone.

Thanks godfather,

I don't know for certain that the double adaptors I have are not "privacy adaptors", as I'm currently using them to connect both my phone and my modem, and they don't work simultaneously (of course). But for the price, I doubt they perform anything but a basic function.

Cheers

Lizard

Billy T
09-11-2005, 09:26 AM
One adapter won't hurt, but for best results your phone system should be a 2-wire system as recommended by Telecom. I understand that they don't guarantee adsl performance on 3-wire systems.

All newer installations should be 2-wire and have the number 2 at the bottom right of the wall outlet. If there is no number, it is easy to check, just take the plate off the wall and count how many wires are connected.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PaulD
09-11-2005, 09:54 AM
The 3rd ringing wire connecting all the jacks unbalances the line. This can lead to noise in or out. ADSL can interfere with radio.

The older 3 wire jackpoints had corrosion problems in ordinary houses. Unless you have an airconditioned office it's very likely that all jacks are 2 wire type by now or you get frequent "ringing cuts off" or noise problems.

Myth
09-11-2005, 10:57 AM
One adapter won't hurt, but for best results your phone system should be a 2-wire system as recommended by Telecom. I understand that they don't guarantee adsl performance on 3-wire systems.

All newer installations should be 2-wire and have the number 2 at the bottom right of the wall outlet. If there is no number, it is easy to check, just take the plate off the wall and count how many wires are connected.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)Hmm ok...

I am on a three wire system with adsl, running comparable speeds. I do get some line noise on the phone, but I'm sure thats the crappy cordless and interference within the house. The corded phone works fine.

Incidentally, I have my adsl set up as such

PhoneJack---------------------2wayFilter/---ToPhone
^ connector---ToADSL
Extension Cord

Breaks most rules, and works fine :D

Trev
09-11-2005, 11:37 AM
This is how I'm connected up. Single wall socket with double adapter. Filter plugged into one side of double adapter with phone plugged into phone socket on filter, nothing plugged into ADSL socket. ADSL plugged into second socket of double adapter. As mentioned above filter is for phone not ADSL. Works fine for me.

Trevor :)

Greven
09-11-2005, 02:48 PM
If you don't have the double adapters & filters yet, it would probably be better to have a DSE filter with the 2 ports - 1 filtered & 1 not then run a double adapter off the filtered socket. Running 3 adapters off the wall socket is just asking for someone to knock it & break one of the adapters (or, if you are unlucky, the wall jack.)