PDA

View Full Version : compressing JPEG files on a server

lance4k
08-11-2005, 12:53 PM
if i had a dedicated server with a forum hosted on it, and I wanted to save space on the hard drive because the jpeg files were too big, is there any software I can put onto the dedicated server that will automatically compress JPEG files?

Rob99
08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
GD

Greg
08-11-2005, 06:35 PM
if i had a dedicated server with a forum hosted on it, and I wanted to save space on the hard drive because the jpeg files were too big, is there any software I can put onto the dedicated server that will automatically compress JPEG files?Theoretically yes, depending on what forum programme you intend using. Also some forum programmes can limit the maximum file size of images very easily. But if you're writing the forum software yourself, then I don't have a clue.

pheonix
08-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Isn't it a bit like compressing Zip files? Jpeg is a form of compression for pictures. Maybe it would be advisable to limit the size of each jpeg instead?

Chilling_Silence
08-11-2005, 07:59 PM
No, you can basically run them through a filter and save them at a lower quality :)

Rob99
08-11-2005, 10:21 PM
GD (http://www.boutell.com/gd/)

Murray P
09-11-2005, 09:54 AM
You can only gain space by losing quality. If the quality is not an issue, just batch convert them all.

nicisace
10-11-2005, 10:05 PM
If you're lucky enough to have Photoshop it has a fandidalytastic batch processing feature - record yourself a new Action (ie: saving a JPG at a more compressed rate), then apply it to whole folders at a time whenever you need to via "File > Automate > Batch...".

Sadly probably not as automated as you're after, but a weekly routine of this may be almost as much fun as taking out the rubbish? :stare:

Chilling_Silence
10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
IrfanView also does batch conversions :)

Kame
12-11-2005, 12:23 AM
JPEG is a form of compression for the image, unfortunately the only way to bring down it's filesize is by lowering it's details/size etc, which means lower quality and possibly blocky effects. JPEGs are usually for Photo quality, if this is not needed, you could save some size by using PNG files instead.

I might look into this JPEG compression though, I haven't actually explored this area and browsers may support some sort of binary compression, which would be excellent if it does exist.

If you can't lose the quality/size of the image, then how about work on other things that can be compressed. All text/ascii files can be compressed and decompressed on the fly in all the major browsers. I use Gzip compression on everything that is text and have been able to cut file sizes down from 40% upto 90+%.

Cheers,

KK