PDA

View Full Version : PC restarts automatically ?

Overdrive_5000
08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi people just started having this problem yesterday where all of a sudden the monitor will go into sleep mode then the pc will reboot, then it tells me that it has recovered from a serious error, It keept doing it all yesterday so i nuked Xp and reinstalled everything but now its still doing it arrgh :mad: Have scanned for viruses etc nothing found as yet. I think it may have something to do with internet explorer (use firefox mostly) because soon as I open IE the pc will reboot also system restore sometimes makes it reboot too.
Any suggestions as this is really p***ing me off ??? :help:
Specs:
Amd 2400XP+
1Gig Ram
Windows XP
Geforce 6800LE

bob_doe_nz
08-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Right click My Computer...

Click Properties

Click "Advanced" tab

under "System Failure" see if "automatically restart" is checked. Untick it if it is. That ususally causes the computer to spontaneously restart.

Also Check Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=61019) someone possibly has had similar problems before

paulw
08-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Had this problem at work. Went thru all the virus checking stuff and Windows stuff only to eventally discover that the power cord at the back was not quite push in all the way..

pixeldust
08-11-2005, 12:51 PM
If you've nuked and reinstalled XP then its doubtful that it's a virus - more likely to be faulty/incompatible/incorrectly installed hardware. Have you added or connected anything to your PC lately?

Overdrive_5000
08-11-2005, 12:56 PM
It logs an event in event viewer acording to microsoft it may have something to do with acpi in the bios but seems strange why it only showed up yesterday while I was playing Guild Wars, and yep power cord is in as far as it goes, another thing i noticed is it seems stable in safe mode no reboots.

Overdrive_5000
08-11-2005, 12:56 PM
If you've nuked and reinstalled XP then its doubtful that it's a virus - more likely to be faulty/incompatible/incorrectly installed hardware. Have you added or connected anything to your PC lately?

Nope nothing new has been added thats what makes it so strange

drcspy
08-11-2005, 01:01 PM
could be dying mobo.............or overheatin........or dying psu.........

Metla
08-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Hardware failure.

Start with the most obvious and accesable components, work your way back to the mobo/cpu.

Open wallet.

Overdrive_5000
08-11-2005, 01:07 PM
The plot thickens... Disabled auto restart got blue screen telling me the culprit NV4_Disp (a nvidia driver file) so should a try another driver version ? Running Forceware 77.77 drivers atm

Myth
08-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Hardware failure.

Start with the most obvious and accesable components, work your way back to the mobo/cpu.

Open wallet.... drive for a few hours to a well known shop in Wanganui ... then open wallet :p

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2005, 01:16 PM
The plot thickens... Disabled auto restart got blue screen telling me the culprit NV4_Disp (a nvidia driver file) so should a try another driver version ? Running Forceware 77.77 drivers atm

Yup, uninstall 77.77, delete its folder, reboot, and then get, and reinstall
81.85 from the Nvidia site, NOT from Windowsupdate.

Overdrive_5000
08-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Used driver cleaner then installed 81.85 drivers with no luck, So i guess my video card is fudged ??

drcspy
08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
try restart.........but tap F8 repeatedly to get boot menu.......then choose 'vga mode' then goto wihdoze and see if it crashes.......if it dont then you vid card *could* be the culprit..........ps: vga mode will only load the BASIC windoze vid drivers so it'll LOOK like safe mode ........

Overdrive_5000
08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Upon further investigation I removed unnecessary devices, my network card and my firewire card and so far no reboots. So maybe my power supply is 2 weak, But that still leaves me wondering why it only started happening yesterday ?

Greven
08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
perhaps you haven't really been doing anything too taxing before you started playing guild wars

Metla
08-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Upon further investigation I removed unnecessary devices, my network card and my firewire card and so far no reboots. So maybe my power supply is 2 weak, But that still leaves me wondering why it only started happening yesterday ?

ahem

Hardware failure.

Open wallet.

The PSU is first and foremost on the list of obvious and accessible parts.

Overdrive_5000
08-11-2005, 04:23 PM
perhaps you haven't really been doing anything too taxing before you started playing guild wars

I have been playing Guild Wars for months :D great game

ecmaster
08-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi people just started having this problem yesterday where all of a sudden the monitor will go into sleep mode then the pc will reboot, then it tells me that it has recovered from a serious error, It keept doing it all yesterday so i nuked Xp and reinstalled everything but now its still doing it arrgh :mad: Have scanned for viruses etc nothing found as yet. I think it may have something to do with internet explorer (use firefox mostly) because soon as I open IE the pc will reboot also system restore sometimes makes it reboot too.
Any suggestions as this is really p***ing me off ??? :help:
Specs:
Amd 2400XP+
1Gig Ram
Windows XP
Geforce 6800LE
hi
maybe you need open your case,to 1.check whether cpu fan is still working
and 2.change the ram
3 reflash your motherboard's bios

goodluck

Metla
08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah, thats it flash the bios.

You will also need to sacrifice a rubber chicken and do a Hurricane dance.