PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Total disconnect between Email client and browser

symiggy
07-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Can anyone please help me with the sudden development of a total disconnect between my email client (Eudora) and the default browser that I use (Firefox)
I recently had occasion to reinstall Firefox since I had done some editing in about:config that created a problem withe bookmarks function.
I felt it was best to start again and so I completly uninstalled Firefox and then reinstalled it.
I was busy reinstalling the extensions which went without a hitch when an email arrived in Eudora which is my default email client.
When I opened the email I had occasion to click a link in Eudora when I noted that it was completely disconnected from the browser, specifically nothing happens when I click the link.
I have tried to change my default browser to IE but it makes no difference again nothing happens when I click a link in the email client.
Similarly, if I open Outlook express and click a link in any email there is again no response in either Firefox or IE.
Basically no matter which email client I click the link..it elitists no response in any browser regardless of which one is the default.
I run Windows XP SP2
I have recently gone through a thorough cleansing of the computer with the close help of a advisor on Hijack This and my computer was declared absolutely clean.I have done recent scans with up to date anti virus (Avast!) as well as clean scans with Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D and Ewido. I also have spyware blaster and spyware guard running in the background with no sugestion of any infection.
In summary therefore the browsers, both Firefox and IE seem to be working normally in all respects as are the email clients....but there is no connection between them when I click a link
Please help me. I am at my wits end and just cannot imagine what caused this or what to do. :horrified

Rob99
08-11-2005, 02:00 AM
When you uninstalled Firefox, did you manually go and delete the folders and contents of "C:\Documents and Settings\symiggy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox" and "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

symiggy
08-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Rob99

When you uninstalled Firefox, did you manually go and delete the folders and contents of "C:\Documents and Settings\symiggy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox" and "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"

I certainly did manually uninstall everything that I could.
One strange thing though was tht I was unable finally to delete one single file called: < cookiesnew.txt > I kept on getting an error message that some other program was using the file even though that was impossible since nothing else was running at the time as confirmed by Windows task manager.
The txt file was dated yesterday (when I did the uninstall/re-install) and was 0KB in size.
Never the less the reinstall went fine but the recalcitrant file is stil present in the above path that you outlined.
What is so odd is that this disconnect affets IE as well as Firefox.
The browsers work fine..clicking a link in the browser produces the normal response. The email cliens do as well...there is just no connection between the two!

Safari
08-11-2005, 08:51 AM
See if you can first get IE and OE operating normally again

Reset Web settings

1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Programs tab, and then click the Reset Web Settings button.
4. Under Internet programs, verify that the correct e-mail program is selected.
5. Click to select the Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser check box.
6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
Note You may receive the following message when Internet Explorer starts:
Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?
If you receive the message, click Yes.

Then do the following

Click startbutton/run then type in the following one at a time and after each one clik enter........

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
Regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

symiggy
08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Safari:

Thanks very much for your Help.
Worked like charm
Everything is up and running both Eudora and OE both work with whatever is my default browser as they did before.

Again...many thanks. :D