PDA

View Full Version : lost CD drive

Gillian
07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
My CD drive has suddenly vanished-sometime is it there and works, but most times it is not. On the set-up it does not show up. How do I get it back permanently? Any help appreciated.

Vince
08-11-2005, 04:54 AM
We will need more information if we are to help you, like your operating system, the type of CD drive, ie CD ROM, CD/RW CD/DVD ROM, etc. What were you doing with it just before it dissapeared?

Gillian
08-11-2005, 02:48 PM
My CD drive is ATAPI CD-R/RW 20X10 I am not sure exactly when it failed to function correctly. It seems to be affected by a wireless enable card & wireless router I have installed , to sewt up a network with a laptop.

It may have been affected by a Fixit utilties programme which I ran, but my system restore function will not restore to a point before I used this programme. At the moment the E drive shows up on 'my computer' and works, but I usually have to use the add new software programme to access it every time I reboot.

Graham L
09-11-2005, 02:26 PM
If you installed an internal wireless card, there is a fair chance that you might have bumped the cables to the CD drive. :D This happens to "experts". :D The power cable is unlikely to have been loosened, but check that it's fully in. Check that the flat ribbon data cable is plugged right in (at both ends).

If that's not the problem, try uninstalling it (in the Hardware Manager page), shutting down completely, and then starting again from cold. Windows should find it and reinstall it.

The BIOS should show it when you go into the BIOS setup routine.