PDA

View Full Version : Transparency behind icons?

SurferJoe46
07-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Isn't there a way to make the colors behind the desktop icons become transparent?

I thought it was in TweakUI, but alas...no. :help:

Terry Porritt
07-11-2005, 05:16 PM
In Win98 I used a small utility called Transparent, according to here it can also be used with Win XP.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,26046,00.asp

Jen
07-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Is this on a XP OS?

There is a setting which controls the transparent text background. Look under Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance (think that is the correct path). There will be a selection of tick boxes for difference performance settings. The more you have selected, the more resources are used. One of them will be for the desktop icon text.

Sorry to be a bit vague, but I am going from memory here.

Edit: just read you post again, and I am not sure if you were after the transparent text background for the icons or actually wanting semi-transparent icons themselves??

SurferJoe46
07-11-2005, 05:57 PM
I actually want the ability to change the desktop and not have to worry about the backfill color behind the icons and the names of them. The letters should remain opaque, and the icons I want to leave them alone.

Jen
07-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Then follow my instructions I gave above. The accurate path is Control > System > Advanced > Settings & Performance. Put a check mark beside "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

SurferJoe46
07-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Got it..thanks Jen..I knew it was somewhere....just needed a less-affected mind to remember for me...ty