PDA

View Full Version : Getting cdrom to work properly

jcr1
06-11-2005, 10:03 PM
mount: block device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

This is the message I get when using a cd rom. I can, of course, view say photos on the cd.
Audio cd won't work.

Here is the cdroms permissions

tux cdroms # ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Nov 6 20:50 cdrom0 -> ../hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Nov 6 20:50 cdrom1 -> ../hdd

Can someone give me a bit of help on this one please; how and what to, I'd be most obliged.

johnboy
06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Have a look thru this lot.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&safe=active&q=mount:%20block%20device%20/dev/cdroms/cdrom0%20is%20write-protected,%20mounting%20read-only
hth

Jen
06-11-2005, 10:29 PM
You have two CD or DVD drives in your machine - hdc and hdd?

How are you accessing the drives, exploring with your window manager or via desktop icons for the drives? For the audio CD's, are you making sure the playback app is looking at the correct drive for the CD?

johnd
06-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Which distribution are you using? Fedora Core 3 has a fault where you need to change the permissions to get an audio file to run:

At the root terminal type: chmod 664 /dev/hdc

jcr1
17-11-2005, 04:39 PM
At last, I can play audio cd's on Gentoo.
I found an old post of Chill's, (Google in desperation) and the last post is;

"Chilling_Silently
11-01-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanks for that,

All I needed was:
chmod 4744 /bin/mount
and on /bin/umount (I did it on /usr/bin/eject just in case too).

Worked a charm! Thanks so much!

Now to make a new post with my last question.. CD Playback... ;-)"

Did this & it didn't work, so out of curiosity I did;
chmod 4744 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
and that works fine with KsCD, which is all I need anyway.
How do I make that command work when on reboot? As for me, it's just a nuisance to have to type it each time. and, are there any implications, with what I've done, that someone can think of?

beama
17-11-2005, 05:16 PM
mount: block device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

all cdroms unless the disk drive is a burner are read only

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2005, 12:06 AM
You can add the line to /etc/conf.d/local.start

It'll run it upon boot :)

jcr1
18-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks Chill, :)
That worked; I referred back to the handbook, but couldn't find it for looking.
There's a lot of little (& some not so liitle) tricks, tweaks etc. like this & so I don't forget, coz I do, I'm putting them into a folder in home called handy tips -easy to remember where they are :thumbs: .

Myth
18-11-2005, 06:35 PM
There's a lot of little (& some not so liitle) tricks, tweaks etc. like this & so I don't forget, coz I do, I'm putting them into a folder in home called handy tips -easy to remember where they are :thumbs: .I have a notebook for exactly the same thing... little tricks like patching kernels, /etc/init.d/whatever, grep and so on

Am taking note of the 4744 thing though, I used to use submount to auto mount, might try this and see how it goes :)

pctek
18-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Wow. That all sounds like fun! And here I was having the mad idea I might try a dual boot of Linux... :rolleyes:

jcr1
18-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Wow. That all sounds like fun! And here I was having the mad idea I might try a dual boot of Linux... :rolleyes:

Go on, bet with that many posts you must've tried it...

Myth
18-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Hmm had a go with the chmod idea... after editing fstab and playing round a bit, decided to stick with Submount