PDA

View Full Version : Inapproriate use of chmod 777?

jcr1
05-11-2005, 08:24 PM
I emerged a game called chickens. Thought it would be fun.
It was in /usr/games/bin/chickens and I had to change permissions to get to it. So I did, using chmod 777. Well, did that muck around with my display. Funny thing, going to KDE Control Centre, peripherals, display, everything was as it should be i.e. refresh rate 85Hz & display at 1024x768 but the display was huge :horrified, wouldn't fit in the screen area, it was like it was all magnified.
So I pretty soon used the rm command and got rid of chickens.
Pity, as it did look like fun, getting rid of them with a shotgun or rockets instaed of the rm command :(

Chilling_Silence
06-11-2005, 03:09 AM
You need to make yourself a part of the group "games".

That and its safer to use 755..

Jen
06-11-2005, 05:33 AM
I've had games to that to me as well before. It wasn't anything to do with permissions (or changing them). I think some of the older games don't cope too well with the higher resolutions and end up doing something funky to X when you exit the game. If I changed my screen resolution to 800x600 first, then it was fine. There is probably a way to force a set screen resolution via a command when launching the game, but I never investigated this.

I just used to kill X (CTRL-ALT-Backspace) to get my display back to normal. :rolleyes:

jcr1
06-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks Chill & Jen,
I should do a bit more study on chmod options.
I might try "chickens" again; sometimes it's good to be able to do something mindless & fun, just for a bit of relaxation after concentrating for a long period of time.
Here's one I used on windows http://www.computerbuddies.us/misc_.htm#workout

Graham L
06-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Any use of 777 is inappropriate. :D But affecting the screen display isn't one of the possible bad consequences. Something else did that.

jcr1
06-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Graham L, I have the 3rd edition of "Running Linux" by Welsh, Dalheimer and Kaufman, published by O'Reilly. I think I'd better read up on chmod, somehow.
Out of curiosity, I downloaded the windows version of chickens; when I exited it gave a kind of a spasm, through up a distorted view of the desktop, then settled back to normal. So yes, I'd say something in the program is mucking around with graphics?