PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Windows set up cannot find HDD

ephesus
03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I am in the process of installing windows MCE. In the initial setup (this is similar to XP Pro) the OS could not find my NEW HDD to format and install the OS. When I check my BIOS, this is definitely in there. The HDD is a Seagate SATA 300GB.

BIOS Settings are as follows:
IDE Channel 0 Master (Asus DRW 1608P)
IDE Channel 0 Slave (None)
IDE Channel 2 Master (ST3300831AS)
IDE Channel 2 Slave (None)
IDE Channel 3 Master (None)
IDE Channel 3 Slave (None)

Can anyone tell me what the problem is. Your advice is appreciated.

drcspy
03-11-2005, 02:51 PM
you'll be well advised to download 'seatools' from seagate.com to setup the drive BEFORE you try installin an os........it wont be partitioned or formatted......seatools will do all this for you

ephesus
03-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Just searched seagate.com. There is no such "seatools".???

drcspy
03-11-2005, 03:00 PM
hell yes there is but actually the one you want is diskwizard........

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

drcspy
03-11-2005, 03:01 PM
http://www.seagate.com/support/software/

just for your further edification

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Is SATA onboard, and is this the 300 GB SATA?

IDE Channel 2 Master (ST3300831AS) ?

If it is, is it connected to the SATA connection (if onboard), and the power adaptor connected to a spare molex connection, from the power supply?

If so, it shouldnt be on an IDE channel, if SATA connections are on the mobo.

Since SATA's dont have slaves, only masters. If the SATA is onboard, and if there's 2 IDE's and 2 SATA's. ie:

Primary IDE Master
" " IDE Slave

Secondary IDE Master
Secondary IDE Slave

3rd Master
4th Master (SATA's).

I would say the SATA is either on the wrong connection (its not on the SATA connection).

Or its not configured on the right IDE channel in the BIOS.

ephesus
03-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes SATA is onboard and 300GB. I only install 1 Optical Drive and 1 HDD. Optical on IDE and HDD on SATA connector on the first SATA connector on the MB. Power supply is connected to its own molex connection. Does my BIOS output says the HDD is connected on IDE?

pctek
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes SATA is onboard and 300GB. I only install 1 Optical Drive and 1 HDD. Optical on IDE and HDD on SATA connector on the first SATA connector on the MB. Power supply is connected to its own molex connection. Does my BIOS output says the HDD is connected on IDE?
Did you not just post what your BIOS says??
The HDD should be on sata 1. The CD/DVD on Primary IDE.

ephesus
03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Yes my BIOS says IDE when it should be SATA. How do I change that?

ephesus
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone, might have just found the answer to my problem. I might need to install the SATA controller driver during OS installation. "without the driver the hard disk may not be recognised during the windows setup process". Does this sound familiar? Could this be the problem of the OS not recognising the HDD? Your thoughts please before I proceed down this route.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Unless you're using SATA RAID, the SATA drivers arent usually needed.

Does the BIOS detect the sata hdd first?? If the BIOS doesnt know its there,nothing will.

ephesus
03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
No the BIOS did not detect SATA HDD - only recognise it as IDE. Do you think I should format the HDD first using Fdisk or something else. Will the OS recognise it later as SATA?

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
It is recognised as an IDE hdd in the BIOS / on the post screen, even tho its a SATA.

In the BIOS the entry maybe called Third IDE Master

(Is this entry on AUTO in the BIOS)?

Depending on how many SATA connections, are on the motherboard. And make sure SATA is enabled in the BIOS, if there is an option to disable/enable it.

Whats the brand/model of the motherboard?

ephesus
03-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Motherboard is Gigabyte 81945P Dual grahpics.
Yes MB recognises HDD as IDE not SATA even though it is SATA. Motherboard has 4 SATA connectors.

This is my CMOS Setsup (Integrated Peripherals)

On-Chip Primary PCI IDE (Enable)
On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE (Enable)
SATA RAID/ACHI Mode (RAID)
x On-Chip SATA Mode (Auto)
x PATA IDE set to CH.1 Master/Slave
SATA Port 0/2 set to CH.0 Master/Slave
SATA Port 1/3 set to Disable

Any Ideas??

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 08:21 PM
This SATA RAID/ACHI Mode (RAID) may have to be changed to ACHI Mode.

Since you dont have 2 SATA's do you?? And you're not using SATA RAID?

If I could find the manual for this, it would be easier. Have you got the manual, for this mobo?

The only mobos I can find on the Giga-byte site are the

81915P Duo - Rev 1
Duo Pro
Duo Pro-A
Duo-A
Pro
D-Pro
And G.

No mention of any 81945P at all.

ephesus
03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Many thanks Speedy Gonzales:) I only have 1 SATA (that's enough problem already).
Try this for the manual
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-8I945P%20Dual%20Graphic.htm

Its a GA-8I945P Dual Graphic. Look forward to your expert advice.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 08:42 PM
No worries, I'll get the manual and have a read. And get back to you. :)

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Ok. since u have 1 SATA, change SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to disabled as stated in the manual. (Or AHCI if this is an option)

Turn on your computer and press Del to enter BIOS Setup during POST (Power-On Self Test). If you want to create RAID, set SATA RAID/AHCI Mode under the Integrated Peripherals menu to RAID (Disabled by default). This maybe disabled at the mo.

Then, set On-Chip SATA Mode to Manual or Auto (default) based on your
own requirements.

I'm getting the 9mb manual, so have to get it and read whats in it. To see what else I can find.

ephesus
03-11-2005, 09:23 PM
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode under the Integrated Peripherals menu to RAID (Disabled by default). NO the default for this is RAID.

Changed this to Disabled as you suggested.
SATA Mode to Manual or Auto (default). LEFT this at default (AUTO).

Reboot to POST and CMOS still show all IDE.
IDE Channel 0 Master (ST3300831AS)
IDE Channel 0 Slave (None)
IDE Channel 1 Master (Asus DRW1608P)
IDE Channel 1 Slave (None)

STILL CONFUSED. If you are looking at the manual, check page 79 about installing SATA controller driver.

ephesus
03-11-2005, 09:42 PM
This is a FAQ I found on Leadtek.com. Could this be the SOLUTION?

" Q: How do I install a SATA drive under Windows 2000/XP?
A: The Serial ATA controller cannot be automatically recognized under Windows 2000/XP installation. You will need to install drivers for SATA controller prior to installing Windows 2000/XP. If you do not install the SATA controller drivers, Windows will not recognize the SATA drive. The drivers for SATA controller are available on floppy disks during operating system installation process. If you have CDs only, copy the driver into the floppy disks before attempting to install Windows 2000/XP. If you do not know how to copy the drivers into a floppy disk, please download the latest driver from the website.

For DRIVER CD( \\Driver\Chipset\Nvidia\SATA\DRIVER) Solution: During Windows setup, you will be prompted to press "F6" in order to "install additional controller drivers": Insert the floppy diskette of SATA controller drivers and then follow the onscreen instructions. After installation of drivers, you can proceed with the Windows installation "

I wanted to try this but my SILLY Office keyboard would not type "F6" in the process. I read somewhere that the F keys will only work with Windows operating. Off to buy a cheap keyboard tomorrow to try.

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Change SATA RAID / AHCI Mode to AHCI.

As stated in the manual

AHCI Set the onboard SATA controller to AHCI mode. Advanced Host
Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the
storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native
Command Queuing and hot plug. For more details about AHCI, please
visit Intel's website.

Change the bootdisk to cd, Chuck the XP CD in, then save the BIOS settings.

Then try installing XP on the SATA. If this doesnt work.

If you havent got a SATA RAID disk/floppy, create it with the mobo cd, on the PC you're on then try.

I read somewhere online not all mobos (with 1 SATA) need drivers, BUT some Gigabyte mobos do.

If this option is set to RAID, you also have to create the RAID array.

You can't. You need 2 SATA's.

As you've noticed, disabling this option shows the SATA as IDE.

Which the manual says

Disabled Set the onboard SATA controller to IDE mode.

ephesus
04-11-2005, 11:43 AM
FINGERS CROSSED - XP is formatting drive at the moment..

Changed the BIOS to default settings.
Uploaded the drivers from the Motherboard CD to Floppy.
Boot setup disk,
Press "F6" to "if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver".
(Tried a few versions, ie. Silicon Si3114, Promise 28779 etc that did no work. Also tried to install the ICH7R RAID controllers but its already installed)

ONLY 1 worked. ICH7R for ACHI. I think this is missing!

And windows is formatting.

Why is it that motherboard manufacturers advertised SATA connectors but do not make this easy for installation. Isn't it suppose to be plug and play?

ephesus
04-11-2005, 11:46 AM
AND THANKS Speedy Gonzales for your invaluable inputs and advice. Also thanks to all that have made suggestions. This is very much appreciated.

What do one do without Pressf1!

Speedy Gonzales
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
No worries :) Hope its up and running now! Can you get into Windows now?

I would say if it failed when u pressed F6, it doesnt need the SATA drivers.

If XP is NOW on the SATA, thats the main thing!

I would have said, install SP1 or 2, BUT this version I think doesnt have one yet!