PDA

View Full Version : XP home product activation issues

aidanmaz
03-11-2005, 01:20 PM
i got given a package XP home cd from a friend who brought it by mistake instead of PRO. i installed this at the beginning of the year. Now as a curious teenager i went thru the insides of the machine and pulled things out and added more not realising there was a limit on XP. I assumed Microsoft would not let me have another lisence, so i removed Xp and went back to 98. big mistake! 98 sucks. i went to reinstall xp but i hav to register with WPA but i already used that key. its on the same machine as it was before the only change is a CD RW has been added. Can i ring microsoft and get XP running?

godfather
03-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes.

aidanmaz
03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
so i can just ring and explain my problem?

godfather
03-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Yes.
Provided the copy of XP is a retail copy, not a manufacturers OEM that was "bundled" with another PC and previosly used on that other PC.

A simple explanation should provide another activation. There is no limit on the number of activations on the same hardware but you may have to ask nicely if you cahnge more than about 5 items (or if you change the motherboard/network adapter)

wuppo
03-11-2005, 02:13 PM
If you ring the number given on the screen when you select "activate over the phone", you will speak with a robot which will ask you to punch in the ridiculously long (about 54 numbers) sequence on the screen. If all is ok, the robot will give you a long number to punch in to activate XP. You may not have to explain to anyone, your problem.

If the robot doesn't like the number you punch in, you will get transferred to an operator somewhere in Asia, that you may have to tell what you have done, before they will give you an activation number.

It really isn't a problem.

FoxyMX
03-11-2005, 02:17 PM
If you reformatted prior to the reinstall you won't have to phone anybody up. Just activate over the internet and she will be away.