PDA

View Full Version : Google's Picasa Photo Program

Strommer
03-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Last week I downloaded and installed the free Picasa photo program. I have several other similar programs but imho Picasa is the best photo organiser, basic editor and slideshow program. One question:

When editing a photo is there a way to have the changes made be permanent to the original photo located on the hard drive (and not just changes to the photo within Picasa)?

I especially like the "Straighten" and auto levels ("I'm Feeling Lucky").

joshjnz
03-11-2005, 10:19 AM
I still think that ACDSee 3.1 is the best image viewing program. Nothing else has the same slideshow behaviour and I haven't found one that has a recursive slideshow in the right click menu.

Graham L
03-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Just go File/Save a Copy in the toolbar, Steve. It's a very good protection against destroying the (perhaps irreplaceable) original. If "you are sure" (where have I heard that before? :D) you can do a copy over the original out in the OS.

Strommer
03-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Just go File/Save a Copy in the toolbar, Steve. It's a very good protection against destroying the (perhaps irreplaceable) original. If "you are sure" (where have I heard that before? :D) you can do a copy over the original out in the OS.

Thanks Graham !

Unless I am missing something obvious (yet again), the only way to copy over the original is to Export to Folder, which is not so straightforward. Correct?

Tony
03-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Funny coincidence time - I have been going through exactly the same process with my technologically challenged friend this afternoon and had on my list of things to do tomorrow to try and find an answer.

Tony
04-11-2005, 12:49 PM
When editing a photo is there a way to have the changes made be permanent to the original photo located on the hard drive (and not just changes to the photo within Picasa)?There appear to be 2 options:

"Save a copy". This will save the edited picture back into the folder it originally came from with an identifying suffix. Fast, but you get no chance to apply any options or otherwise intervene.

"Export picture to folder". This also saves an edited copy of the picture, but gives you options about location, folder name, image size etc.

HTH

Strommer
05-11-2005, 08:03 AM
There appear to be 2 options:

Thanks Tony, but it is as I expected: there is no straightforward way to save-in-one-step the changes made.

Even so, I still find Picasa a very useful program. This is comparing it to what I use/have used: Photoshop, ULead Photo Image, IrfanView, and several other photo editors.

Tony
05-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks Tony, but it is as I expected: there is no straightforward way to save-in-one-step the changes made.The "save a copy" does it one step. I'm not sure how much more straightforward you want.

Strommer
05-11-2005, 08:36 AM
The "save a copy" does it one step. I'm not sure how much more straightforward you want.

By straightforward I mean that the original should be changed, not to save a copy. Saving a copy may be a safeguard but it means I have to go back and delete the original/