PDA

View Full Version : Win2000 user profile lost

Eorr
02-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for viewing.

I've been handed a PC with Win2000 Prof installed. All my experience is with WinXP on a local network. Apparently this PC was part of a domain in the owners previous companies office. The user, having moved companies, changed network settings to access the network group in his new office and as a result lost the ability to log in to his user profile. I can log in as Administrator OK with access to his profile files and settings on the disk, but how to move profile over from required domain it used to exist within?? I have no idea what the domain server set up was like.

I've already backed up files etc. but I am hoping there is a Windows 2000 method of switching users or something without having to log in to old domain. Need help from someone with Win2k experience please...

berryb
03-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Why do you need to copy the whole profile? Why not just copy the user data into the new profile.

CYaBro
03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Once you have changed or removed the PC from the old domain there is no way to log into the old profile that was associated with the old domain.
What you needed to do before you changed the network settings was to make a new user profile and then copy the old profile into the new user profile.
But since you have already changed the network settings the only thing you can do is copy and paste any documents etc from the old profile.
You can also import email etc if needed.