PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burner problem

Tukapa
02-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi all

Here is my predicament:

A friend has a Samsung TS-H552 Dual Layer DVD Writer. They went to write some photos from a recent holiday to CD-R using the inbuilt Windows burning system (I don't know why they didn't use Nero - it came with the drive and is installed - but thats another story). It began (or so it said) and before it finished it spat out an error message saying the burn process had failed.

They put another blank CD-R into the drive but the drive only whirred away as if it was trying to read the disc and the light on the front of the drive kept flashing. This kept going on until the disc was manually ejected. The autoplay did not come up any more when a blank CD-R was inserted but it still did when inserting any other type of disc (DVD-R, audio CD, data CD etc).

I thought that the drive may have had a fault so I took it out of their machine and brought it home. I installed it into a spare machine I had at home and threw a blank CD-R into the drive and it recognised the CD-R first up. I tried to burn a CD of data using the in-built Windows burning program (no Nero installed on my spare PC) and exactly the same thing happened to me as above. Now the drive won't recognise blank CD-R's on my spare PC.

I have googled this and found that others have had a similar problem but there are no solutions other than "bin the drive".

I have also looked at the support section on Samsungs website to no avail.

I am thinking that there is something happening between the Windows burning program and the drive to cause this problem and am hoping somebody here may have come across this problem and be able to assist.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted (and sorry for the long post!!!).

Cheers.

Renmoo
02-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Is there any screenshot of the error messages worth posting on the forum?

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2005, 06:33 PM
XP's cd burning isnt exactly the best thing to use. Its limited in what it can do.

I would use a 3rd party program. What else was on the same IDE connection as this burner on your mates PC, and yours??

Another cd/dvd, or a hard drive? Or nothing?

And it was jumpered properly wasn't it?

Tukapa
02-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi all

I can't remember the exact message and I can't replicate it now cos it won't recognise the blank CD-R at all.

On both computers there was nothing else on the IDE channel just the DVD burner and that was set to master. The hard drive was on the secondary IDE.

Thanks.

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Update the Firmware to at least the 5th or 6th revision!

quarry
02-11-2005, 11:33 PM
to see whether it is in fact faulty - you need to test with nero or other - there are some free cd burning software -http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php
forget xp burning for the meantime.

Rob99
02-11-2005, 11:44 PM
"bin the drive".

Chilling_Silence
03-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Well they are renouned for being cheap and sometimes nasty drives.... In saying that I own one myself ;)

Tukapa
03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi all

Have updated the firmware to the latest version. Still no change!!

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Try another ide cable. Preferably an 80 wire 1. This has the blue connector that plugs into the mobo end. And make sure you connect the cable, the right way.

EX-WESTY
03-11-2005, 06:25 PM
How old is the drive?

I'd take it back to the retailer and make claims under the consumer guarantees act that the drive is not fit for the purpose and request a replacement or a refund.

Tukapa
03-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi all

Have contacted QMB and am sending it back under warranty. Hopefully they will find the same error and replace the drive.

Thanks for all your comments.