PDA

View Full Version : Another Gentoo question

jcr1
02-11-2005, 01:31 PM
When I do an emerge --update world.
I get this at the conclusion; * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
* IMPORTANT: 67 config files in /etc need updating.
* IMPORTANT: 1 config files in /usr/kde/3.4/share/config need updating.
* IMPORTANT: 1 config files in /usr/lib/X11/xkb need updating.
* Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

I've done what's suggested with emerge --help config, so have a bit of a handle on it. I've also used the Gentoo Forums and see there are some choices.
What do the Gentooists on this forum do in this case?

Jen
02-11-2005, 06:05 PM
I tend to deal with the config files that need updating. I know the tool that you did this with used to be etc-update. Think this has been depricated now with a newer tool. The Gentoo website should have more info on this.

The only problem with updating your config files, is that you can do bad things. Check each config file that requires updating and decide whether to accept the changes or not. The files never to accept the changes with are the ones you have customised yourself eg xorg, fstab, grub and password related files to name a few. It is possible to render the OS unbootable. I used to check out the list for the potential problems files and select not to have those updated, then did a bulk accept on the remaining boring looking ones.

However, I hardly boot up my Gentoo box much these days so may be a tad out of date with how portage handles updating config files now. :)

Myth
02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I use etc-update... do a real quick scan of 100 files then enter -5.
DON'T do it this way lol. Last time I did this I screwed my system. This is yet another area I have to read up on a bit more... but do it like Jen suggested

jcr1
02-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Tazz & Jen,
Sounds, from your comments, & what I've read on Gentoo Forums that great care is required.
What would be the ultimate outcome, if I did nothing about it?
Eventually would this affect the performance of my installation?
It's going quite well at the moment, a lot better than my previous one which I accidently obliterated :eek: So sometimes good comes out of bad :D
I've even set up Skype on it, so I can talk to my son in London. Who is a Linux devotee (got to be part of his job).
Mind you if we don't wreck an installation now & then how will we keep in practice - short of finding another computer to do something with.
Enough of me burbling :o