PDA

View Full Version : Imation CD-R disks ? speed issue

MMM
01-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a CD-RW/DVD-Rom drive.
24x read, 24x write, 8x DVD

Until now I've only used CD-RW 1x-4x compatible disks and have never had any problems, still haven't either.
However I want to save my scanned images [unedited] onto a CD-R so they won't get wiped.
There are only Imation 1x-52x [not 1x-4x] CD-R disks in the stores I've been to. Didn't have the specs of my comp so salesmen couldn't help.

So, can I use these 1x-52x on my CD-RW/DVD-Rom drive above or not?
What do you suggest I use instead if I can't. Googling just got me confused.
Thanks.

CYaBro
01-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. Your CD-RW drive will write at the fastest speed it can to the 52x CD-R discs. (24x)

PaulD
01-11-2005, 02:07 PM
What do you see as a problem?

Your drive probably writes CD-R between 4x and 24x, CD-RW between 4x-12x.

The Imation CD-R are in the range and they are cheap enough 50c -$1 each depending on branding.

SurferJoe46
01-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I see no reason why you can't use them.

If your writer-program is intellegent enough, it'll default to an optimum setting for the burn anyway.

MMM
01-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks CYaBro, Paul D and SurferJoe46.

Why the salesmen couldn't have told me that in the first place I really don't know. If I was just saving usual program stuff I wouldn't worry at all as the RW's do me just fine.
Cheers

SurferJoe46
01-11-2005, 02:16 PM
We usta have salesmen like that here in the States...untill we deported them to some island off Australia...somewhere.

MMM
01-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Quote from SurferJoe46: We usta have salesmen like that here in the States...untill we deported them to some island off Australia...somewhere.

:D :D
Reminds me of the wrigleys chewing gum joke.

Better talk to Winston and get him to add them to his list of undesirables, if he can find some space in his black book.

Graham L
01-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Don't be too hard on the salesman. :D

Some drives would write only to a limited range of speeds. From memory, there were a couple of ranges: 1x-4X, 8X-12X. I had one drive which would write 4XCDRWs. When I got some 12X, cdrecord told me that the drive could not write to them.

Probably most recently made drives will handle the faster disks. CD-Rs should be OK, anyway, but if this is an old drive, perhaps it would be an idea to try a single CD-RW of higher speed before buying a lot.

FrankS
02-11-2005, 11:42 AM
When you look at the front of a drive, if in very small letters it states High Speed it is 4x-12x, if Ultra Speed it is 12x-24+x, if no small letters it most likely is 1x-4x. Yours should be Ultra Speed, mine is marked Ultra and is 32x write and handles imation CD-R 80/700MB (no speed on 50 stack). As you are buying CD-R just buy the smallest quantity, they are fairly cheap.
Re googling did you go to

http://www.cdfaq.org/