PDA

View Full Version : Hard Answer for easy application

paranoia
01-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Hi Everyone, I have a quick question, About a week ago my screen saver stopped working, it is not a downloaded saver it is just one off the built in windows one. I checked all my settings for screen saver and all seem to be proper. When i look at the preview of the sceensaver in the little box it shows up as working and as the one i chose . Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I have a Dell 4600 3.4 ght , windows xp , 2.5 gigs of ram. Thanks, Paranoia. PS, I did a system restore and it did not help, It does not appear to have happened after any type of new download of some kind of software.

SurferJoe46
01-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Probably just a corruption of a file somewhere. I'd do a search for files with the extension .scr and try to find it again if you want.

I found an interesting article (http://www.ezine-writer.com.au/articles/j134641.aspx) on screensavers for you to read if you like..

here's a quick c/p from the middle of it:

During their installation process screensavers are copied to
the system directory (years ago users had even to copy
screensavers by themselves). Once they are there, Windows
finds them and puts in the list of available screensavers.
You can see this list in the Display Properties dialog. But
how does the system know that the program in its system
directory is a screensaver? The answer is simple. Any
screensaver program has a name ending with the ".SCR"
extension, while a typical program has an ".EXE" extension
at the end.

paranoia
01-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the reply.I did a search and found several screen saver files I tried to copy and to past them but could not, However trying to open them or figuring out if one is corrupted did not seem to work ? Not that I would no how to fix it if i did find the right one. I went to search then typed in the letters you said and got 25 or thirty files and some ended in screen saver but alot said windows update. I clicked on the screen saver ones some only some gave me some like notepad screen but nothing to help. Do you have any follow up or is it a lost cause because of my lack of knowledge in these areas. Thanks for all your help. Mark Stevens (paranoia)