PDA

View Full Version : DSE External CD-R and DVD Rom Problems

Newteach
29-10-2005, 06:49 PM
We have had problems installing a Dick Smith CD-writer with DVD Rom. Apart from a serious lack of installation instructions we had a lot of problems getting the beast to actually play DVDs. We were apparently missing a dvd decoder (for this xp machine) and had search far and wide for a way of getting this small piece of software free. We finally managed to get Media player classic and an mpeg codec to play the dvds but now the computer keeps connecting and disconnecting the drive about every five minutes or so. The external drive is a usb model and after playing about five minutes of a movie it will do the 'bing bong' (connecting or disconnecting device from usb port sound). This causes the computer to freeze up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to connect an external drive like this to an xp machine that has previously had no cd rom etc without the dam thing freezing up.

(PS. this is for a young boy who is home schooled due to a fairly rough medical condition so any help would be appreciated.)

bob_doe_nz
29-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Go and get VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/). See how that works when playing DVD's. Also are you using USB 2 ports when connecting the DVD drive?

Newteach
29-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Bob, USB 1 I think as when I connect a usb flash drive to it it says 'would be quicker with usb 2', and goes pretty slow when transferring things from the usb key to the puter.

Andy.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I would get a USB 2 PCI card. Or buy another mobo that supports USB 2.

Then install SP1, or 2.

Having USB 2 onboard, will make a difference, with the speed.

Newteach
29-10-2005, 10:43 PM
So would using it on USB 1.0 actually be a prob, and what is the minimum specs for a usb card..?

This is a 1.1 with 256mb ram, should have spare slots...

Thanks....guys....

bob_doe_nz
29-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Well Heres Dick Smiths (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/436346700002771c273fc0a87f990684/Product/View/XH6738) PCI USB card. I don't think the requirements are very high.

Probably around the 300Mhz mark, the Ram you've got might not be enough or could be a little sluggish seeing as your running Windows XP. But give it a go and see what happens.

I've had problems where using my USB flash disk (which is rated at USB 2 speeds) on a USB 1 interface would continiously disconnect and reconnect all the time. The odd thing however is that this problem occoured only on computers with both USB1 and USB2 plugs. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2005, 07:34 AM
So would using it on USB 1.0 actually be a prob, and what is the minimum specs for a usb card..?

This is a 1.1 with 256mb ram, should have spare slots...

Thanks....guys....

Yup, using a USB 2 device on a USB 1.1 system will be a prob. It'll be slow as.

USB 1.1 is only 11/12 mbps, compared to 480 mbps for USB 2.