PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 and Broadband

Dannz
29-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I have a windows 98 machine that i want to use to access the internet through our router - i have it set to get its ip address automatically etc but it cant access the internet - it cant even ping the router.

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Put the ip address in manually and point it to the routers ip address.

Or point to the main PC's ip address.

(under default gateway).

And make sure its got the same workgroup as the other pc/s with the router.

Myth
29-10-2005, 11:37 AM
I assume you have set the gateway to the router ip. given the machine a netbios name etc?

Dannz
29-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Both things are done - still no luck -- i will post the output of ipconfig shortly

Jen
29-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Are you connecting via ethernet or USB? Is the LAN light green by the port if you are using ethernet? You are not blocking the router's IP with your firewall?

Dannz
29-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Ethernet - and there is no firewall on the 98 machine (i have all incoming firewalled out at the router so i dont really need a firewall -- the machine is just for web browsing so mabye i could just install a proxy on one either my gentoo machine or my parents Windows XP machine

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Whats the main PC running??

Is ICS if this is used enabled?? Or a program that supports ICS?

Dannz
29-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Main PC runs Gentoo - i was thinking of just using a simple proxy program (i can route everything through an HTTP Proxy)

FoxyMX
29-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Sounds like it is time to get physical.

Did you check that the green light is flashing, as Jen suggested?

If it isn't, try another network card.

Also try another cable. The cable is supposed to be straight through but I use crossovers with my router without any problems.

If all that is OK then double check your Network settings in Control Panel. Make sure the Gateway is set to your router's IP number. Enable DNS, set the Host to your computer's name and the DNS numbers to your ISP's DNS numbers. I always use fixed IP numbers for the computer as well.

Edit: It doesn't matter what your main PC is running if you are trying to connect to the internet through your router.

Dannz
29-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Green light is flashing.
I have tried a few cables.
Gateway is set and the DNS Servers are in the settings.
It still cant ping any of the other computers

Dannz
29-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Edit: It doesn't matter what your main PC is running if you are trying to connect to the internet through your router.

I had guessed that.

EDIT: is anyone going to comment on my idea of just using a proxy (it would make things simpler)

FoxyMX
29-10-2005, 12:11 PM
If you can't ping the router having a proxy isn't going to make it work.

Got the output of ipconfig for us yet?

I would suggest removing the network card from the machine, remove all the network settings on the Win 98 box, reboot, put the network card back in and start all over again.

Dannz
29-10-2005, 12:13 PM
If you can't ping the router having a proxy isn't going to make it work.

Good point

Got the output of ipconfig for us yet?

I havent been able to get the modem working on the computer - i will just type it straight of the screen in a minute (just got some homework to finish first)

FoxyMX
29-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Have you got a dialup modem in the PC as well?? If so, you may need to change the connection settings.

Note that I edited my previous post while you were posting your previous post. :p

Dannz
29-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I just looked at ipconfig and realised that i had given the computer the ip address 192.168.0.60 when the ip address of the router is 192.168.1.60 which i dont think helped so i changed it to 192.168.1.60 and its now working.
Thankyou to everyone for your help

FoxyMX
29-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Good one. :thumbs:

I thought it would be something silly like that - been there, done that. :p