PDA

View Full Version : Slave Drive?!?!?!?

andrewmagley
29-10-2005, 03:20 AM
How do I go About Making A Quantum Fireball CX 3.5 Series a slave drive to my existing Fireball hard drive?

Also how do i go about changing the configuration of my computer so that my CD-ROM runs through the CD-ROM Plug and not the hard drive plug? As of right now the IP cable goes from the HD plug to the CD-ROM then into the HD.

Any help or comments would be greatly appericated!

Thank you
Andrew Magley

Adam678
29-10-2005, 03:40 AM
On the back of your drive you have about 8 or 9 pins and a clip thing, and depending on what pins the clip thing is put on determains weather your drive is master or slave.

Im too sure what you mean about the configuration of your cdrom, it should make no diffrence if it is attatched to the Hard drive IDE cable, it should still work....

pctek
29-10-2005, 08:29 AM
How do I go About Making A Quantum Fireball CX 3.5 Series a slave drive to my existing Fireball hard drive?

Also how do i go about changing the configuration of my computer so that my CD-ROM runs through the CD-ROM Plug and not the hard drive plug? As of right now the IP cable goes from the HD plug to the CD-ROM then into the HD.

Any help or comments would be greatly appericated!

Thank you
Andrew Magley
Yuk, QUantum Fireball! Its still going then? :D

Chnage the jumpers on the back of the drives.
First drive make master, slave drive make slave (its marked on the drive which jumper configuration to use for each).
The IDE cable: the end is plugged into the master and the middle connector for the slave drive.
Then with the CD drive, use another cable, make the jumper on the back master, and connect it to the secondary IDE slot on the motherboard.

FrankS
29-10-2005, 09:50 AM
For info Quantum hard drives were taken over by Maxtor in April 2001
If you want more Fireball info record model number of your drive and go to

http://www.maxtor.com

and go down to Product Index where all Fireballs are listed plus clicking on your model will tell you what is still available.

Have a Fireball still running in a 1995 computer with no problems :D

mikebartnz
29-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Yuk, QUantum Fireball! Its still going then? :D

Chnage the jumpers on the back of the drives.
First drive make master, slave drive make slave (its marked on the drive which jumper configuration to use for each).
The IDE cable: the end is plugged into the master and the middle connector for the slave drive.
Then with the CD drive, use another cable, make the jumper on the back master, and connect it to the secondary IDE slot on the motherboard.

I would put the second HD on the secondary IDE channel as slave with the CD as master. That way you don't have a bottleneck with the hard drives running off the same channel and you can put the swap file on the second drive.
With the IDE cable it doesn't matter which drive goes on which connector unless you use cable select.