PDA

View Full Version : Clean Install Win98 Without CD ROM

Sk8er_Square
28-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Having a huge problem, my laptop's cd drive no longer works, its been formatted and i cant install an operating system (I will only be using it for network transfer once i have installed the OS, so a new CD drive is not an option) I dont have any replacement drives, i only have 3 XP computers on a LAN which i can connect it up to.

Is there a program to install drivers for a DOS system to link with XP to transfer across the OS cd and install?
(network PCIMCA card: 3Com Etherlink III - 3C589D-TP)

Im desperate, thankyou

Cheers
-Rj

Freejack
28-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Check this out - it might help
http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

Also, can your laptop boot from a USB device? If you have a USB Flash drive handy you could possibly fit 98 on to it and install from there? Theres a few sites around to help you make a USB key bootable (hp have one that works on other make drives)

tweak'e
28-10-2005, 11:15 PM
the other way is to stick the hardrive ibnto another pc and copy the install files over.

quarry
28-10-2005, 11:45 PM
i used to use a parallel zip drive - with win98 on a disk, loaded the dos driver, copy win98 to the hard drive & install from there

Sk8er_Square
29-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies,
> i dont know how to use the barts boot disk site you sent me, that would be the most helpful if someone could explain what i had to do.
> I have an ipod, could i use that for the boot.
> HDD has laptop connection so cant use on desktop comp
> Dont have a zip drive.

This is a pent1 laptop, so its not loaded with features either,keep that in mind, thanks

Freejack
29-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Nah don't use your iPod as you'd have to remove all your music and I'm not sure what them impact of making it boot able would be.

I think tweak'e's suggestion is probably best for you if are unsure on Barts boot disk and are unssure if your laptop can boot to usb.

Have a look at Pricespy for an external USB 2.5" HD enclosure ( http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_1608.html ) you should be able to get one of these pretty cheap.
Take your hd out of your laptop, put it into the enclosure and plug it into another computer. Format to Fat32 if you need to, Use that computer to copy your Win98 install files onto it.
Unplug the enclosure and take the hd out again.
Plug it back into the laptop and use a boot floppy to boot up. With a spot of luck you'll be able to see your hd with Win98 install files and can begin the install.

Good luck!

Sk8er_Square
29-10-2005, 12:11 PM
i kno the laptop cant boot from USB, but ill play around with barts boot disk and see what i can do, im trying to avoid spending any money, cheers

Graham L
29-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I would use the NCSA Telnet/FTP package. It's still available (free) from UIUC (archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/PCTelnet/). It hasn't had any development for a long time (I got version 2.3.08 on a 5.25" floppy) but it works brilliantly. Just get the dcumentation and the binaries. Unfortunately, the configurartion file is only easy to set up if you know how to set it up. :D

Phil Karn has adapted it fro amateur packet radio, so there might be some better documentatiion with that. (search for "KA9Q").

Microsoft have a technet artivle which gives "18 steps" to produce a TCP/IP DOS floppy ... but that is based on files from an NT4 installation CD. Whether you could use the corresponding files from W2K I don't know. ("DOS TCP/IP" string to Google finds that ...down a few pages).

This page at DRDOS (www.drdos.com/dosdoc/Tcpip/dos_util/dosutil.htm) might be worth a look.

You will probably need a "packet driver" for the NIC. That will be a ".COM" TSR which will need to be loaded with AUTOEXEC.BAT, or manually. Crynwyr is the name for those.

tweake' (or someone) gave a link here to some "modern" DOS TCP/IP programmes quite a while ago.

Terry Porritt
29-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Freejacks method may be the best, but there are other ways, Graham describes another.

I used to use PARCP in dos for transfering files between computers before setting up a network. This uses a slightly modified parallel port cable. Mine is 15 metres, rather long for a parallel cable but it worked ok with no problems.
I can't remember now what the limitations of the free unregistered shareware program are, but the information about parcp is here:

http://joy.sophics.cz/parcp/

I think the program should be able to be run from a floppy after booting both computers from a dos boot disk that has CDROM support.

Another way is to get hold of a laptop HDD to desktop HDD IDE adapter. I used to have several of these I made up years ago, but they've been dumped now :(

http://www.interloper.com/products/product-details.php?productid=53700005&cat=5370&mfgn=&page=1&sec=1&od=