PDA

View Full Version : cooked mb

kaliyuga
28-10-2005, 08:45 PM
I bought new ram for my computer and somehow (*$%#@!!???) my son managed to put it in backwards which promptly caused the ram slot to blow up. Now the comp just beeps and won't turn on.
DO I need to replace the motherboard, and who knows what else has blown. I'd like to look for one on trademe but need to know what to look for in a replacement board
apparently it is an FIC vc19 motherboard
"The VC19 is a high performance solution for Pentium?4 processors (1.4 - 2.2GHz+) based on the brand new Intel?845E chipset.
The ATX form factor VC19 supports 533/400MHz FSB and up to 2GB of DDR 266 memory. 6 PCI slots and 1 AGP 4X slot make expansion easy and the multitude of on-board features are impressive to say the least. The VC19 is equipped with on-board 5.1 channel audio and the A73 audio bracket provides SPDIF and coaxial interfaces. The VC19 also supports on-board USB 2.0, on-board LAN, on-board IDE (2 x Ultra DMA ATA133) and RAID (0,1 and 0+1)."
what compatability issues would i need to consider when considering what to replace it with..?

MACIAN
28-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Iwould search pricespy.co.nz to find a MOBO before trademe. My experience is that there are a lot of places cheaper than trademe.

kaliyuga
28-10-2005, 09:20 PM
yes i hear you there
just looking on pricespy as you spoke they range from $70 to a few hundred, what's a good brand and what should i look for

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Depends what you want. ie: USB 2, SATA, RAID etc.

If u want USB 2 or IDE/SATA/RAID, look for a mobo, that supports them.

And a mobo that will take your CPU, and RAM.

And it may also depend on how much you want to spend.

ASUS arent too bad. I've never had a prob with these mobos (YET)!

Altho, these maybe dearer than others. Depending on which model you get.

I would avoid some MSI/ECS/Gigabyte mobos, as some of these tend to die soon after. (some models are crappy motherboards).

You shouldn't have any compat issues, if you get the right mobo, which supports the CPU and ram (Thats if the CPU and ram you had/have still works).

And you reformat the hdd you have now, With whatever version of Windows,you were using.

kaliyuga
29-10-2005, 07:43 AM
if i have to reformat the hard drive does that mean i will have to lose everything on the harddrive?

drcspy
29-10-2005, 08:10 AM
that's not necessary to reformat the harddrive........why do that ?.........most of the time with xp or any other operatin system, if you have changed motherboard/cpu/ram etc then you simply need to run either a repair install or if you are very lucky it'll just boot up and find the new hardware and demand driver cd............dont format the drive it's totally unnecessary.....

pctek
29-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I bought new ram for my computer and somehow (*$%#@!!???) my son managed to put it in backwards which promptly caused the ram slot to blow up. ?
Are you sure the slot isn't working? HAve you tried another piece of ram, my brother did that once - he just killed the ram.

The_End_Of_Reality
29-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah some how i managed to cook my Ram (or so i thought) and all it would do was beep so i left it for about 2 hours and tried again and randomly it worked fine. but now that comuter has more problems the IDE channels died :badpc:

FoxyMX
29-10-2005, 10:11 AM
I have that motherboard but unfortunately it is still very much in use so I cannot offer it to you. :p

As pctech has suggested, try another stick of RAM, including in slots other than the one that got "blown" before writing off the entire motherboard.

If the motherboard is definitely gronked then you will need to find another that will accept your CPU. You will be looking for Pentium 4, Socket 478, Intel 845 DDR 533 FSB. Ascent have two listed on their website - DFI and Gigabyte boards - but Pricespy may throw up a few more brands. The dearest board is only $105 so you won't be looking at "a few hundred" for another mobo.

If you reformat your hard drive then yes, you will lose everything on it so you will need to backup all your data first. Doing a repair install as drcspy suggested is an option but it is generally better to start from afresh when replacing a motherboard.