PDA

View Full Version : Windows login password

Greg
28-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Can someone PM me on how to log onto Windows where all user and admin passwords are unknown?

The reason is that I'm going to appraise a bunch of computers tomorrow for a second-hand dealer who bought an office lot of machines, all stand-alone desktops, with a range of Windows op systems.

I know worst case scenario is I'll have to reinstall the opsys on each machine, which will be a major hassle on 13 machines.

The primary purpose of getting them running is so that I can run a quick diagnostic programme to rapidly tell me what hardware and software is installed on each, to come up with an approx resale value for each.

The guys I'm doing this for know bugger all about PC's which is why they're asking an amateur like me for help.

Thanks, and no need to reply to this after tonight.

somebody
28-10-2005, 08:47 PM
What you need is something like UBCD4Win, which will allow you to boot off a CD and then run diag programs like Everest to determine what hardware is on the PC.

gibler
28-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Er, to ensure privacy you really need to wipe the drive first with Darik's Boot and Nuke and then reinstall the OS that was on it. Or at least run Eraser to clean out the free disk space.

For software you actually want to find the media/licenses...

Scouse
28-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Can someone PM me on how to log onto Windows where all user and admin passwords are unknown?
Hi Greg. Looks like a tall demand to me. While your need might be quite innocent, such a tool could be quite devastating out there in the wild. Does such a tool exist?

Greg
28-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Actually, when the guys told me they're password protected I actually thinks it's the bios they're talking about, which of course is easy to bypass. But I wanted to be prepared. Anyway all will be revealed tomorrow.

gibler
28-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Greg. Looks like a tall demand to me. While your need might be quite innocent, such a tool could be quite devastating out there in the wild. Does such a tool exist?

offline nt password editor (http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/)

Well you can reset the admin password with it. Also other tools exist to grab the encrypted windows passwords that you can then brute force in your own time.

Of course the defence is to set a bios password and prevent booting off a CD or Floppy (or USB). Need physical access to the PC of course (I use it all the time as PCs I work on weren't setup my me, so no one knows what the admin passwords are).

Physically lock your PCs up people :thumbs: