PDA

View Full Version : msn virus removal-HERES HOW TO REMOVE THE LATEST MSN "wow" virus

lance4k
28-10-2005, 12:46 PM
OK EVERYONE HERES HOW TO GET RID OF THAT VIRUS(MAKE SURE U TELL UR FRIENDS WHO HAVE THE VIRUS THIS TOO):

First try a system restore. heres how to do:

system restore should be found in start, programs, accessories, then SYSTEM TOOLS

Restore ur pc before u got the virus. maybe 2 or more days ago.

If system restore doesn't work then DISABLE system restore like this depending on what O/S u have:

WINDOWS 98 OR WINDOWS ME

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel

Double-click the System icon. The System Properties dialog box appears

Click the Performance tab, and then click File System. The File System Properties dialog box appears

Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore

Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows

WINDOWS XP

log on ur pc as Administrator

Click Start.
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Select "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" check box
Click Apply. Then a messager will appear. CLICK "YES"
then OK

Now whateva operating system u have boot ur computer into SAFE MODE(by repetedly pressing F8 when ur computer starts up) and UPDATE ur antivirus software and then do a full system scan and it shold remove it. IF not connect to the internet and go here:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Its a FREE online anti-virus scanner

click on SCAN NOW ITS FREE

Pass this message onto EVERYONE who has that msn virus.

lance4k
28-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Just got an update from a friend of mine. If u wana get rid of that msn virus go here:

http://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=1130398031/remove_msn_virus.zip

download the file and read the text file. it will tell u how to remove it

if u guys are getting an error code eg. 0x4353453 then tell me ur error code and i can help

Metla
28-10-2005, 01:00 PM
THE SKY IS FALLING

PANIC PANIC PAAAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC111.

Seriously, don't blow the teacup out of proportion.

stu161204
28-10-2005, 02:11 PM
A few things I see that wrong with the above message is:

1. Windows 98 does NOT have system restore ;)
2. you / the message does not say how you get this virus or in other words how to prevent getting this virus

I think this is another fake message.

kjaada
28-10-2005, 04:56 PM
I second that.I have searched Mcaffee and Nortons No mention.
Looks like Lance4k could be a bit of a virus

Myth
28-10-2005, 06:42 PM
How the heck do you get a virus when using messenger?
Even when messenger first started being used as a means of spreading viruses, I was like huh?
Do people still accept stuff when they don't know what it is, or from people they hardly chat to who all of a sudden do the Hey, look at this? I have 2 words that will prevent most viruses ... common sense

:groan:

godfather
28-10-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32chodef.html

Renmoo
28-10-2005, 08:16 PM
I second that.I have searched Mcaffee and Nortons No mention.
Looks like Lance4k could be a bit of a virus
Could Lance4k be a naughty bot? :confused:

Cheers :)

godfather
28-10-2005, 08:30 PM
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32chodef.html
W32/Chode-F is a worm for the Windows platform.
W32/Chode-F sends a message to all MSN Messenger contacts with a link to a site that contains a copy of the worm.

The message will be one of the following:
LMAO, this is freaking me out!!
looooooool....check this out !!!
Automessage : download the new MSN update here!
rofl, this ownz!!
Hej, you already updated your MSN?
Get the new MSN Messenger here :
Click here if you want more MSN emotions:
w0000t, you have to check this out!
lmao, this roxXxX!!
wow wow wow.....you have to check this out!!!

W32/Chode-F terminates a number of processes including those related to various AV and security applications.

W32/Chode-F includes functionality to silently download, install and run new software including an update of itself, initiate a proxy server on the infected computer

quarry
28-10-2005, 10:52 PM
"Now whateva operating system u have boot ur computer into SAFE MODE(by repetedly pressing F8 when ur computer starts up) and UPDATE ur antivirus software and then do a full system scan and it shold remove it. IF not connect to the internet and go here:"

how the hell do you get on the net while in safe mode

DangerousDave
28-10-2005, 11:06 PM
The message will be one of the following:
LMAO, this is freaking me out!!
looooooool....check this out !!!
Automessage : download the new MSN update here!
rofl, this ownz!!
Hej, you already updated your MSN?
Get the new MSN Messenger here :
Click here if you want more MSN emotions:
w0000t, you have to check this out!
lmao, this roxXxX!!
wow wow wow.....you have to check this out!!!

The person who did that was a true genius, I mean talk about going for the target market. That could fit the standard speech patterns of nearly everyone on the MSN Messenger client. Killing English I say. Oh well.

lance4k
29-10-2005, 01:03 PM
the virus removal tool works all u stupid people out there that think my fixes don't work. the name of the virus is called W32/Chode-F virus. there are NO official removal tools for it. THe file link i put for download is a ZIP file and there is NO .EXE files in it. IF u open WINZIP classic there is a hosts file and a TEXT file in it. If u OPEN the text file(USE WINZIP'S INTERNAL TEXT VIEWER IF U WANT) it will tell u how to MANUALLY remove the virus.

So all u stupid out there that think the fix doesn't work u should feel bumped out and embarrassed cuz the fix DOES WORK.

Greven
29-10-2005, 01:32 PM
The site that I got sent to has been taken down. It wasn't hard to see the file was a virus, but I downloaded it anyway & opened it in noteapd to see if there was anything interesting in it. The only readable text was calling you a n00b. If someone still has the file, you should run it through a resource hacker & see if there is anything else interesting in it.

The message I got sent was:
wow, this is you? [Edit: URL removed]

[Edit: even if that website which loads the virus is now down, I do not think it is safe to have that link displaying incase the website has not been permanently taken down. Don't want to inadvertantly cause any infections from curious link clickers ... - Jen]

bizzack
29-10-2005, 11:44 PM
huh? so lance4k's removal thing was a virus or something itself? calling people a noob?

Greven
30-10-2005, 06:26 PM
No. lance4k's thing is just a text document telling you how to remove the virus & a custom hosts file that blocks a heap of nasty stuff.

The actual MSN virus had the noob message in it, but I don't know how you are supposed to see the message normally - the guy that sent me the link didn't know his computer was infected, so it would appear it doesn't pop up a message telling you that you are infected like I assumed it would.

SurferJoe46
31-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Is this another reference to the wowexe.exe thing I asked about on this post: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=62819&highlight=WOWEXE.EXE

I have since found out that it is the Magnifier and On-Screen Keyboard toggle that I accidently clicked on and came up in the taskmanager.

It never was a real trojan or malware thing and I have since toggled it off and it doesn't appear any more.

My start-up and posts are all going better and faster now that I have it turned off too.

Mattsa
11-02-2008, 11:43 PM
very sorry about the obvious lateness but... for people interested or who still have problems, theres a neat little tool you can use to remove these pesky msn viruses automatically, within seconds at a site which my brother frequently maintains and updates: http://www.**Removed -- Spammer**.com (http://www.google.com)

beeswax34
11-02-2008, 11:56 PM
very sorry about the obvious lateness but... for people interested or who still have problems, theres a neat little tool you can use to remove these pesky msn viruses automatically, within seconds at a site which my brother frequently maintains and updates:

Yay! Finally a solution to a 3yr old problem. Whew!

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Good thing we weren't holding our breath waiting for that solution... 3 yrs... I would be quite purple indeed :p

lakewoodlady
12-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a load of manure to me. Win 98 doesn't have system restore, and why would this person want to tell everyone on here how to get into safe mode? Almost as if he's only just discovered how to do that and does he think we're all that stupid to click on a link of his?