PDA

View Full Version : programs taking ages to appear

imarubberducky
27-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I started a thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=57203) a while ago about how programs would take ages to load. Unfortunately I didn't receive much help, so I ended up re-installing, which fixed the problem, partially, since then its happened very occasionally.
Unfortunately it appears to have started again, and I re-installed XP last week, so Iím not to keen to do it again.

Basically when I click on a program to open it, it "loads" it, but it doesn't appear, I can tell by my cpu monitor spiking as it should then settling down again, the program also appear in my task manager processes list, so it is "running" but it isn't showing.

My computer is also the gateway to the internet, and we have 3 others computers or laptops that access the net through my comp, when this problem occurs, other computers trying to access the internet time out.

Whatís more, when I go to restart it takes ages before it actually starts restarting, causing me to give up and press the reset button.

I know this is normally a forum for telling newbieís to scan for spyware, but can somebody help, this is driving me insane (and with the added pressure of my computer-illiterate family going "why isnít the internet working" every hour) - I need a solution.

My computers specs are:
1.7 Celeron
256mbís ram
120 gig hard drive (upgraded since the last time I posted this problem)
with Windows XP Pro

Please help!

jnimmo
27-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Can I ask, are you running Microsoft Antispyware Beta1? I recently had a situation where a computer would just grind to a complete hault, and the moment I disabled Microsoft Antispyware, all was good.
Generally what I do in this sort of situation, is end proccesses that are running, like msnmsgr.exe and I go through and end them until the computer decides to speed up again - but just ending one at a time so I can find the culprit.
Realplayer has also slown my computer down terribly before.. so if you have that try uninstalling it.

Let me know how this goes.

bartsdadhomer
27-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Double your Ram and turn off unnecessary startup progams and background services
See here if you're not sure what to disable
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html#Tweaks

imarubberducky
28-10-2005, 05:28 PM
thanks for replying

The performance of my computer doesn't seem to be the problem, it runs fine and programs load fine, until this wierd problem occurs, even when this problem occurs, i can only not load new programs, already running programs still run fine.

I don't have Antipsyware installed, nor realplayer (I use real alternative) so they can;t be the culprits. I'll try you're advice on ending programs the next time this problem occurs, unfortuntly Task Manger is affected by this problem too. Hmmm. i'll have to leave it running.

Thanks again

otter
29-10-2005, 04:37 AM
While you are at it, run a disk cleanup, run chkdsk and then defragment your drive, for some performance improvement. More RAM wudnt hurt either.

pctek
29-10-2005, 08:26 AM
My computer is also the gateway to the internet, and we have 3 others computers or laptops that access the net through my comp, when this problem occurs, other computers trying to access the internet time out.

My computers specs are:
1.7 Celeron
256mbís ram
120 gig hard drive (upgraded since the last time I posted this problem)
with Windows XP Pro

Are you using broadband? If so I'd hook the other PCs up to the net via a hub or multi-port router instead of having them go through this PC.
This PC is rather underspecced for it.

Also I don't think this is "a forum for telling newbies to do spyware scans", its a general PC help problem. Often with certain posts doing a spyware scan is recommended because it is a cause of a lot of posters problems.

I assume you have done scans on this PC - and of course the other PCs trying to access the net as well.

FoxyMX
29-10-2005, 10:53 AM
How about if you remove this computer from being the gateway to the internet and see if that makes any difference?

gibler
29-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I'd just buy an external ADSL router for a start (this will get your family off your back).

Make sure you have a firewall running (I'd suspect that something on your network is worm infected/loaded with spyware).

imarubberducky
29-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Hmmm, the idea that the gateway is causing this problem is interesting, ill have to wait until no-one needs the internet (you have to understand though that this problem doesn't occurs all the time - so it may still be hard to attribute it to the gateway.)

Ok to deal with some of the ideas suggest i may need to go off-topic a bit.

Firstly, can anyone reccomend a good partioning program (preferably free), one of my partitions is too small to defragment (the partition storing xp and my programs), so i need to resize it.

Secondly, anyone know of a good place to buy routers, i wouldn't mind having one, however it needs to support wireless - and they seem to be priced for around $200 - should I be expecting to pay that much?

Also I don't think this is "a forum for telling newbies to do spyware scans", its a general PC help problem. Often with certain posts doing a spyware scan is recommended because it is a cause of a lot of posters problems.

Fair enough, all i was merely trying to imply though was that, yes, ive been over all the usual spyware and virus scans, and this problem seems to be a bit stranger than something that simple.

And as for the increase ram suggestion, im waiting for some auctions to cloase on trademe.

Thanks all for replying.

Battleneter
29-10-2005, 03:20 PM
The Gateway and Spyware issue is a good thought, well worth checking out.

What anti Virus software are you running? (please don't say Norton's). In any case try disabling it (preferably when not connect to the Net), to eliminate this, if this helps a lot post back a reply and we can talk further.

Also run a defrag (it you haven't already), this can make a HUGE difference, many people never know to do this. Even after a fresh install your drive can be 20%+ fragmented.

And last 256MB system ram is to low for XP in my opinion. If you are trying to launch large apps or mid-high end games, it will page a lot (also relates to defrag) which means very long load times.

imarubberducky
16-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I finnaly think ive isolated the problem and it appears that having a disc image mounted with Daemon Tools appears to be causing this problem, no idea why. Just thought i'd post this for future reference in case anybody else experiences this problem.