PDA

View Full Version : Adding 3rd hard drive

Chemical Ali
27-10-2005, 09:01 PM
I have been attempting to add a 3rd hard drive to my jukebox PC as my music collection continues to grow!
Both of the current (IDE) hard drives are set as Primary Master & Secondary Master and the PC as well as windows sees them fine -- however can't seem to add a 3rd either as a slave on the primary or secondary IDE channel!
Running Win XP pro with SP2
Have been into BIOS settings and had a fiuddle without any luck -- motherboard is a PC Chips M925

Any suggestions bar using an external hard drive enclosure which I don;t want to do??

Cheers

jnimmo
27-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Are you familiar with jumpers? If so - what jumper configuration are you using? Ensure you have only one drive as the master and one as slave on the primary and secondary IDE channels (set on the physical drive - not in the bios). Or, try using cable select on all of your drives.

CYaBro
28-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Check the original HDD's you have as some brands / models have a jumper setting for 'Master - single drive only' and 'Master - with slave present'.
You will need to set one of them to 'Master - with Slave present' and then put the 3rd HDD on the same cable set to slave.

pheonix
28-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Keeping in mind the jumper setups as above, if it shows in the BIOS , but not in Windows, you need to format the disk.

If using XP, go start-run and enter COMPMGMT.MSC , then click on "Disk management". You should see it listed at the bottom, but you may have to scroll it down.

For info on how to format through Disk Management, read through the MS instructions (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000)

dds
28-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Be careful when you set jumper, power level control is very important.
just an advice~~

CYaBro
28-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Be careful when you set jumper, power level control is very important.
just an advice~~

:confused:

drcspy
28-10-2005, 03:50 PM
??? yeh....... ???