PDA

View Full Version : how much Ram can my mobo handle??

bizzack
27-10-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm really confused. I have a K7 Triton, GA-7N400 Pro2 mobo. It says in the manual that it can handle up to 3gig max :waughh: of RAM, but then in the table it says the only configurations it can have are of 512Mbit(16Mx8x4 banks) 512 Mbit(8Mx16x4 banks) and then the same for 128 and 64, but there's no mention of 1gig sticks. it only has 4 RAM sockets, so if i was to install 4 512's then it would only be 2gig right??? yet it doesnt mention support for 1gig sticks though it says it can hold up to 3GB max... soooo confused!

Speedy Gonzales
27-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Well if it says it supports up to 3 GB, thats what it is.

I spose you could use 1 GB, (which most shops dont stock anyway).

But this would only fill 3 slots, not 4.

dds
27-10-2005, 03:09 PM
i think 1 Gb is enough, unless you have lots of programs to be run at same time.
have you tried with 1gig stick? maybe it can support it. :rolleyes:
then you can have up to 4 gigs ram. ;)

gibler
27-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Info from Giagabyte's web site:

Based on nVIDIA chipset specification, the motherboard you have only support 3 DIMM slots officially. When a MB comes with GIGABYTE unique memory H/W deisgn, the board you have can provide the extra DIMM slot and make users get better flexibility on H/W installation/expansion. But, because the quality of memory modules in retail market is uneven, thus, when you install 4xDDR400 memory modules on the motherboard, our MB BIOS will decrease memory speed to make sure most system will bootup properly.

Check the Gigabyte website for a later version of the manual. Also check which revision of the motherboard you have (may have to look at the markings on the board).

It sounds to me as though:
- 1 GB sticks weren't widespread (or even made) when manual was released
- The 3 GB limit they are quoting is the official Nvidia specification (but they made this motherboard with an extra slot)

bizzack
27-10-2005, 04:10 PM
cool thanks gibbler and eeryone. its just that I can buy a 1gig stick for $75, but i dont wanna buy it and then find it doesnt work on my mobo... guess I can re-sell it for $80, haha...

dds
27-10-2005, 04:41 PM
i have a 1 gig ram, only 65, haha~~

SurferJoe46
27-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Try this site (http://www.crucial.com/index.asp) to get a RAM capacity scan. It's free and they tell you what you can and cannot do...they'll also give you some more info on your system too.

bizzack
28-10-2005, 01:10 AM
cool dds, how and where did you score that? not from china?

SurferJoe46
28-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Does anyone have any insight to this thought concerning RAM?

1) If one has 4 slots for RAM and places just one 1 gig stick in one OR:

2) One places 4 - 256 sticks in the 4 slots....

Will there be any good or betterment doing it one way or the other.

I am asking about access time, shadowing, pipelining or does daisey-chaining effect happen here?

Sorry if I am using some old-fashioned terms here...this goes back to my old days of C>64 programming where these things were very important and could be detrimental to the whole system. :D

tweak'e
28-10-2005, 09:38 AM
one thing to watch, some pc's require registered ram to be able to get the maxium about. not exactly comman but i have seen a few people fall into that trap.

Metla
28-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Does anyone have any insight to this thought concerning RAM?

1) If one has 4 slots for RAM and places just one 1 gig stick in one OR:

2) One places 4 - 256 sticks in the 4 slots....

Will there be any good or betterment doing it one way or the other.

I am asking about access time, shadowing, pipelining or does daisey-chaining effect happen here?

Sorry if I am using some old-fashioned terms here...this goes back to my old days of C>64 programming where these things were very important and could be detrimental to the whole system. :D

I have heard people claim that using 4 sticks causes a latency to be introduced, Personally I think ram access speeds are so fast that its a non-issue, Most probally show up as tiny hit on a synthetic benchmark and have no real world impact.

I could be wrong, But I have never seen anyone complain.