PDA

View Full Version : DVI Connection Issues

amc
27-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

I have just recently purchased a Philips 190B6 monitor, which contains both analog and DVI-D inputs, after setting the monitor up with the analog connection, I then proceeded to order a DVI cable, as there was not one supplied with the monitor.

After obtaining the cable and connecting it up to my graphics card , when selecting the digital option on the monitors input selection screen , I then get a blank screen with the following message in a window ( selected input not available).

After checking the details of my graphics card (PNY Geforce 6800GT), I found that the DVI connection is a DVI-I connection, and the connection on the monitor is a DVI-D connection.

Is there a cable or converter which will allow a DVI-I to DVI-D connection?

I have tried a philips DVI-D to DVI-D cable and also a different DVI-D to DVI-D single link cable, at this stage I have not tried a DVI-I to DVI-I cable.

One thing I have noticed is that the plug pins are different on both connections, however the DVI cable does connect ok to both ends.

Thanks.

CYaBro
27-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi all,

I have just recently purchased a Philips 190B6 monitor, which contains both analog and DVI-D inputs, after setting the monitor up with the analog connection, I then proceeded to order a DVI cable, as there was not one supplied with the monitor.

That's one reason why I don't sell Philips LCD's anymore. Every other brand of LCD that I have sold, that is a DVI model, has a DVI cable included but not Philips :annoyed:
I rang the Philips rep and asked why this was and he laughed at me and called me a liar about saying other brands supply the DVI cables with the monitors!

BIFF
27-10-2005, 12:32 PM
As the monitor has an analog VGA connection it makes sense that the DVI connector is DVI-D as DVI-D can only accept a digital signal. The DVI-I connector on the graphics card should be capable of transmitting both analog and digital signals.
Whilst this may not apply to your Nvidia graphics card, my ATI card had a feature to 'reduce timings for high resolution displays' which prevented my Phillips 19" LCD from displaying an image. Disabling this 'feature' got everything working perfectly. If there is such a feature in your graphics card properties I suggest you disable it. I suggest you also load the monitor drivers as windows will then be better able to determine the refresh rate settings the monitor supports (irrelevant on LCDs however windows allows you to configure this option) and also you will have a colour profile for your monitor which helps too.

Cheers

amc
28-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will check this out ...

Cheers