PDA

View Full Version : Conecting up to ADSL

Nomad
26-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey guys,

I think I may be thinking of surrendering dialuip :illogical
We have least 5 phones and Sky Digital which is not connected to the jack, the guy fixed it to our landline account for us and we don't prebook any movies etc...

Do I need the $149 fee to get my line connected up by a technician?
They provide free membership and free modem. Thinking of Slingshot 3GB 256k or Ihug the $40 or $50 offer. If I connect with tolls with them, is there a minimum usuage or a monthly fee?

Can a Pentium 200 share internet with my win2k system? Modem will be on the win2k machine. I guess its ok with LAN, I have some CDs back yonks ago which can share internet .. but thats a lot of hassle using a 10m LAN cable so we may use Wifi with a upgraded PC. I could just use a basic ADSL modem and use wifi that way right? No need of a router?

Thanks.

somebody
26-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

I think I may be thinking of surrendering dialuip :illogical
We have least 5 phones and Sky Digital which is not connected to the jack, the guy fixed it to our landline account for us and we don't prebook any movies etc...

Do I need the $149 fee to get my line connected up by a technician?
*** Most likely yes

They provide free membership and free modem. Thinking of Slingshot 3GB 256k or Ihug the $40 or $50 offer. If I connect with tolls with them, is there a minimum usuage or a monthly fee?
*** Slingshot: $10 minimum per month. Note that Orcon/Ihug/WxC do not have minimum usage requirements

Can a Pentium 200 share internet with my win2k system?
*** Yes.

Modem will be on the win2k machine. I guess its ok with LAN, I have some CDs back yonks ago which can share internet .. but thats a lot of hassle using a 10m LAN cable so we may use Wifi with a upgraded PC. I could just use a basic ADSL modem and use wifi that way right? No need of a router?
*** Yes.

Thanks.

See above

Carshalton
26-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I have 2 lines and 3 computers. i went for telecom xtra and got a dse 4 port router. I found telecom helpdesk good to deal with (I am not very computer navi). I did call divert on my line for asdl and call minder, call wait on the other line.I have hard wired to other computers but if they were newer, I guess it would be better to go for wireless.

johnd
26-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,

I
Can a Pentium 200 share internet with my win2k system? Modem will be on the win2k machine. I guess its ok with LAN, I have some CDs back yonks ago which can share internet .. but thats a lot of hassle using a 10m LAN cable so we may use Wifi with a upgraded PC. I could just use a basic ADSL modem and use wifi that way right? No need of a router?
Thanks.

I have just recently been through the exercise of changing from dial up to ADSL - my advice would be to get a decent router that :
1. has a full firewall. The price difference between a multiport one with only port stealthing and one with a full firewall is as little as $7 (DSE with Stealthing= $138, NetGear with full firewall = $145).
2. I feel you are better off with a full ethernet router, not a Windows based USB one. But then I run a Linux PC on my network!

John