PDA

View Full Version : Installing a registered copy of Xp on new HD

Tom Drummond
25-10-2005, 09:37 PM
My computer is an ongoing work in progress. I currently have Xp (registered) on an IDE H.D. and in the near future may wish to upgrade at an SATA H.D. I was told that you can not install this software on on another drive. Is that correct or is there a wrok around for this?

bartsdadhomer
25-10-2005, 10:13 PM
I was told that you can not install this software on on another drive.
Rubbish, of course you can
XP is "theoretically...." registered to a complete machine not a single component such as a hdd.
So if you upgrade your hdd of course you can install your copy of XP on it

Adam678
25-10-2005, 11:02 PM
You are allowed to install a copy of windows XP on any hard drive you own, but no more than 3 times. After 3 times of using your CD key to register the software the CD key will become void. So I recommend after installing and registering windows XP you use norton ghost to back up your system, this way, if you ever need to reformatt your pc for whatever reason you will not have to enter your CD key! :D

Metla
25-10-2005, 11:07 PM
CD key doesn't become void, Just takes a phonecall to MS in some cases.

pctek
26-10-2005, 06:48 AM
You are allowed to install a copy of windows XP on any hard drive you own, but no more than 3 times. After 3 times of using your CD key to register the software the CD key will become void. So I recommend after installing and registering windows XP you use norton ghost to back up your system, this way, if you ever need to reformatt your pc for whatever reason you will not have to enter your CD key! :D
Void? And how is it supposed to do this? Self destruct after a certain number of uses?
Nonsense, how do you think people do reinstalls?

bartsdadhomer
26-10-2005, 07:32 AM
absolute bollocks

andy
26-10-2005, 11:52 AM
It really isn't a problem. If you register more than 3 times within 120 days, then on-line registration fails and you need to ring MS and tell them you've upgraded and they will give you a reg. number to enter. The only difficulty with this is that their call centre is in Delhi (India) and some of the people who answer are a tad hard to understand. After 120 days, the system seems to reset and let you do it all again.