PDA

View Full Version : mtink on SuSE10

johnd
25-10-2005, 08:50 PM
I have recently upgraded my PC from Fedora Core 3 to Open SuSE10 (or at least I think it is an upgrade - my old AMD850 certainly went a lot better with Fedora - it is starting to show it's age and is probably too slow for SuSe10.

I have tried to reinstall mtink (the utilities for Epson printers). YAST installs it (as a RPM) with no errors, but when I try to run it I get:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
X Error of failed request: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 14 (X_GetGeometry)
Resource id in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 889
Current serial number in output stream: 889
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

and the tools does not load.

Any ideas?

Jen
26-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Are any of your other utilities giving a similiar error when you open them? I don't think it is related to mtink per se, but seems to be more with X and how it is trying to display the GUI window. Have you updated SuSE after installing it? Did you completely reformat before installing SuSE or did you keep your existing /home directory etc?

johnd
26-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Are any of your other utilities giving a similiar error when you open them? I don't think it is related to mtink per se, but seems to be more with X and how it is trying to display the GUI window.

Everything else is running pretty much honky dory.

Have you updated SuSE after installing it?

No - but I guess you are right - I should do this.

Did you completely reformat before installing SuSE or did you keep your existing /home directory etc?

Formatted everything except the /home directory but attempted to wipe out any settngs to do with X.

johnd
27-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Jen - did the update (not something I have done in the past due to having only a 56kbps modem but the new ADSL works fine!). Unfortunately even though there was a X update - no change.

I am not sure that my choice of going from Fedora to SuSE was a good one - I guess there are no major problems -- but another one I have is connecting to my work WIndows 2003 thin client using rdesktop does not go either - the HDD goes into overload and nothing happens.

Jen
27-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Have you checked out the SuSE forums to see whether anyone else has reported this issue?

johnd
29-10-2005, 05:01 PM
I have given up on OpenSuSE10 and reinstalled Fedora Core 3. Why not Core 4? I am guessing since I found SuSE10 slow on my AMD850 that Core4 would be too - same version of GNOME and KDE. Anyway I am back to a quite snappy desktop and with everythign I want to running. This is the second attempt I have made in changing to SuSE - last one was with SuSE9.2.

.... I think I will stay with Fedora!

dolby digital
30-10-2005, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE= :confused: j :confused: n OpenSuSE10 and reinstalled Fedora Core 3. Why not Core 4? I am guessing since I found SuSE10 slow on my AMD850 that Core4 would be too - same version of GNOME and KDE. Anyway I am back to a quite snappy desktop and with everythign I want to running. This is the second attempt I have made in changing to SuSE - last one was with SuSE9.2.

.... I think I will stay with Fedora![/QUOTE]

One of the risks of upgrading. It could be the level of kernel, the often quoted GLIBC thing etc etc. I tried upgrading my Red Hat 7.1 box to Red Hat 8 and it failed so I have stuck which what is running. It must seem rather old to those "get the latest version people", but it works fine (and its not an external server) . Something about if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The box I am typing this on is a dual processor ex Weta Workshops (yes!!) PIII 700 with a video card which most Linuxes took a distinct dislike to (plus I wanted the multi processor facility enabled) AND it has a SCSI drive. Even within the Mandrake 9.x range of realeases, I had problems. Settled on 9.0 as that found all the hardware and also is crisp in operation (use Icewm though). Compiling mysql and php as I can't get XML support with the MDK install of mysql and php..

jj.sarton
16-12-2005, 07:30 AM
I have recently upgraded my PC from Fedora Core 3 to Open SuSE10 (or at least I think it is an upgrade - my old AMD850 certainly went a lot better with Fedora - it is starting to show it's age and is probably too slow for SuSe10.

I have tried to reinstall mtink (the utilities for Epson printers). YAST installs it (as a RPM) with no errors, but when I try to run it I get:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
X Error of failed request: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 14 (X_GetGeometry)
Resource id in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 889
Current serial number in output stream: 889
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

and the tools does not load.

Any ideas?

The problem is OpenSuSE 10.0. Apparently openMotif was patched by SuSE and tests
where not performed. According to a security advertissment. the openMotif code was
modified by SuSE in a wrong way so that correct XPM datas are no more recognized and
finally the openMotif library complain about this.
Please install a correct Linux distribution or install the original openMotif package.

Regards,

Jean-Jacquee (the authot of mtink)

johnd
18-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Jean-Jacquee

Thanks for spotting this thread - I have solved the problem by going back to Fedora. SuSE looks great but functionality for me is not as good as Fedora.

John