PDA

View Full Version : RWCDs again and backing up

Thomas01
25-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I use Synback to backup my work to a spare hard drive. Works a treat without me doing anything. But when I try to also back up to CDs (RW) I often have problems which have got worse. Now the computer crashes every time and does a reboot. I sent details to MS when the request box popped up and got a recomendation to install the latest version of INCD4 Reader. I also got the latest Synback. Still got problems and now I have a screen notice that appears when I bootup telling me that the serial number for my InCD is wrong.
Fortunately I can still back up to my RWCDs using manual control via Total Commander (great program - if you haven't got it get a copy before the night is out).

I suspect the drivers for my ATAPI CDROM.48 are out of date.
But going on the internet I only run into other people with the same problems.
(1) where do you get new drivers for this CDwriter?
(2) And how do I get rid of the notice on bootup.
(3) Is there a simple freeware program that checks my drivers and downloads the required updates.?
Tom

Jen
26-10-2005, 10:47 PM
What operating system are you running? Did you download the latest InCD4 Reader program off the Nero website or someother place? You could try uninstalling InCD4 completely and see if this helps.

godfather
26-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Just a comment based on many years of experience.
If the data is of value, do not use CDRW to back it up.
CD-R is fine, but the reliability of RW leaves a lot to be desired, as do "packet writng" softwrae applications such as InCD that allow the CD-RW to be treated as a large floppy drive. They were not designed with this is mind, and every operation can place all stored data on the disk at risk.
The -RW means ReWritable, where the disk can be totally erased and used again, not ReadWrite like a hard drive or floppy.

OK for temporary storage or transport of a file, not for backup/archive in my opinion.

Thomas01
27-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Thank you Godfather. Your comment certainly agrees with my experience. What misled me really was the fact that INCD says so often that these can be treated just like a floppy. Not true of course.
And another point - why do so many computers come out these days without the floppy drive? Most of my friends in computers admit they would be totally lost without floppies. I certainly still use mine a lot. When swoping dat we find that using floppies takes about a tenth of the time messing about with CDs does. Plus the fact it costs nothing. Not that I would like to be without my CDs.
Tom

Metla
27-10-2005, 11:01 AM
what can you fit on a Floppy beside a text file?

Sooner they are fazed out the better, You can get a 128mb flashdrive for the same amount of money......

Scouse
27-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Got to agree with Metla - flashdrive is the way to go for small items or transfer of daily work to home backups.

Jen
27-10-2005, 05:02 PM
So Tom, did uninstalling InCD stop those error messages on boot up and system crashes, or haven't you tried this yet? :)

bartsdadhomer
27-10-2005, 06:04 PM
CDRW's are unreliaqble and should not be used for crtical backups
CDR's, DVD or tape are the best for reliability

Thomas01
31-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I just have to defend the poor old floppy. Great for text files - yes half my latest novel fits on half a floppy - all my numerous short stories do and take up a fraction of the space. The humour comes when somebody with no floppy drive asks you to read his floppy and send it over the internet so that he can access the files. I occasionally still do CAD for various people. I have 62 drawings on one floppy. Ye Gods the program itself can be carried on one floppy so I can download it to any computer - I repeat ANY computer. Using a floppy boot up disk last week I successfully converted a computer using Japanese (I dont speak a word of the language) to using English - it was left to pay a debt and is now being used daily (with its floppy drive of course). My latest keypad arrived last year with its drivers on a floppy. I also fixed another computer (actually my last desktop handed on) where some idiot young person (you know the type - failed at school - failed at working - sent on a computer course - attended once a week) He had gone into the BIOS and not only changed the boot order but deleted any reference to the "a" drive. Obviously badly affected by the latest anti floppy brigade.
I and many of our collegues find floppies still used all over the place. Using CDs is more or less useles especially RWCDs. And heck the old KODAK camera put 14 photos on a floppy - I still have some - they are excellent. (OK excellent but not up to profesional standard). I do have a flash drive - given to me as the previous owner was fed up with the hassles. It would not work on my laptop or desktop. But 2 laptops later it does - and upgrading my desktop and switching to XP it does. Do I trust it NO NO NO.
I used to use floppies for my backups - the program does not work on XPs - pity - backups were easy and fast - OK I had 27 floppies - but at the end of a working day the program told me to insert floppies one and seven for instance. I am very enthusiastic about the use of CDs despite this - I am into photography - need I say more?
BUT:-
Long live the floppy - get a computer without such a device and suffer.
Tom

Metla
31-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks, I'll stay in 2005, well, for the next couple of months anyway.

drcspy
31-10-2005, 02:01 PM
yes half my latest novel fits on half a floppy

considering how unreliable floppies are, they often simply decide not to work again, I'd SERIOUSLY suggest you give up the humble floppy and switch to cd.......you'll surely be upset if your work saved to floppy was unusable ?

Jen
31-10-2005, 05:22 PM
So Thomas, apart from debating the pros and cons of floppies and CD-RW's, have you fixed your problem that you first posted about with the error messages and system crashes? Bit of feedback helps and maybe of benefit to others who have a similar problem and search the archives for an answer. :)

Scouse
31-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Yes Thomas, I too can remember the days of backing up to 20-22 flopies at the end of the working week - Friday evening when I should have been down the road in the bar. And I remember the times when, at about floppy 17 or 18 the system would complain that it was unable to write to that particular floppy and I had to start again. Hated it. An old Unix/Informix system.

godfather
31-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Floppies?
The demand is very low these days, so the quality has descended to meet the demand.

Its not uncommon to have 1 or 2 disks fail straight out of a box of 10.

If it was important data, I would not consider it backed up unless it was on at least 3 floppy disks. As they age the oxide parts company with the disk and causes failure as well, so "older is not better".

I have witnessed many tears from those that have lost precious documents because they considered they were reliable.

MACIAN
31-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Hey you guys are confusing 3.5 discs with 5.25's. The 5.25's were really reliable.

Thomas01
01-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Jen
Yes I did uninstall INCD then found I had no means of formating CDs.
I will try it again as I do seem to be learning more about this particular problem thanks to all the contributors (even if we did get a bit off subject when into floppies etc).
Tom

Thomas01
02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Jen
Yes I have again removed INCD. I also reinstalled it - whacko. The offending notice has gone but goodness knows what my next problem will be.
I also took the somewhat risky step of manually removing the serial line from the Registry - Yeh I guess interfering in areas I don't really know much about is somewhat risky. But assumed that having a new RESTORE point could save me.
Tom