PDA

View Full Version : Software to scan/file my paperwork

hotkiwi
25-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Friends,
I have these mountains of insurance policies, conditions, all kinds of correspondence etc etc. I want to scan and file electronically, if possible compressed to save disk space. Upon printing (if I needed) I want good quality. has anyone of you come upon software that neatly organised this. Will pay fro good software if that is what it takes.

Cheers

Johan

johnboy
25-10-2005, 05:54 PM
This is'nt to bad and is free.
Simply OCR http://www.simpleocr.com/
hth

Murray P
25-10-2005, 06:17 PM
I assume you have a scanner, what's wrong with it's software?

You'll only need OCR if you want to edit the docuements you've scanned, but they wont be in original form. Otherwise just scan as an image (jpeg or pdf to keep size down).

If it's a oncer, get your local print/copy shop to scan to disc (CD or DVD) for you. I get plans bigger than A3 scanned for me, it ain't cheap, but would probably be a a lot less for A4, especially if they can auto feed and scan it.

Graham L
26-10-2005, 01:33 PM
PaperPort is one commercial package whch does the organisation of the documents which you probably want. They used to distribute it with their own special scanner (which would fit between the keyboard and monitor, or even be built into a keyboard) That was just a sheet scanner. I think it will work with other scanners ...

SurferJoe46
26-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Friends,
I have these mountains of insurance policies, conditions, all kinds of correspondence etc etc. I want to scan and file electronically, if possible compressed to save disk space. Upon printing (if I needed) I want good quality. has anyone of you come upon software that neatly organised this. Will pay fro good software if that is what it takes.

Cheers

Johan

What Graham says is the best..it is!

I also use TextBridge (http://www.nuance.com/textbridge/) to convert the documents to text for rapic filing and searching. You can't search an image, but you sure can search text files very fast if you need one in a hurry.

mikebartnz
27-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I would go with Grahaam L with this one too.