PDA

View Full Version : ipod?psp?

dds
25-10-2005, 02:53 PM
hi all
i am just wondering to buy a mp3 player, i am not sure should i go ipod or psp? psp can play games, but ipod has a bigger memory.
welcome any suggestion.
thanks
Dominic

dds
25-10-2005, 02:54 PM
oh i forgot to ask did anyone know when is the video ipod come out?

qyiet
25-10-2005, 03:12 PM
I own a PSP, not an ipod. so I can't really comment on the ipod.

However the PSP is not cheap, $428 for the PSP, then you *need* to purchase more memory for it to use it as a media player. I got 1GB of additional memory, That cost me about $200 on top of that.

The screen is fantastic, and with 1GB of memory I can store 3 complete episodes of lost on it. The games are nice, if a bit pricy. I wouldn't rate it too high as a music player, Getting the music on is a pain (you have to put it in the right folder) and it has very few options when playing. It's also bulky for a music player.

The ipod video has one other thing the PSP is missing.... (I think, I didn't check this) .. TV out.. I would love to put the PSP on the big screen, but at this stage I can't. I'm fairly sure the ipod photo could do that, so I see no reason for the ipod video to drop support.

If you are going to play games and movies.. get a PSP... But if music or storage are a priority look elsewhere. Don't *just* look at ipod.. there are other things that do video as well, often with more formats.

-Qyiet

superfishnz
25-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I own a portable media player instead of an ipod or PSP. Got it from www.mediaplayers.co.nz. It's got 30 Gigs of storage, plays MP3s fine, divx movies and photos as well as outputting to a TV so you can watch the movies on TV if you wanted to. Cost is about $599 though and doesn't play games. Other than that, it does everything else like DivX and XVid movies, music vids, MP3s and photos, so it ain't too bad considering it also has 30 Gigs of storage which is very handy.

Haven't tried PSP or ipod video, but they both look good too. Like the PSP for games, that looks very nice.

Cheers

dds
25-10-2005, 03:51 PM
oh well, as qyiet said, if i wanna to own a psp with media player option, i have to spend over 700 bucks. omg, compare to video ipod is about 600,with a 60 gig, i think i will go for ipod.
anyway, the other media players i always think they are not good as mac or sony produced. maybe i am just too picky.
ehmm, superfishnz hows your player works? can you download music from internet? and how about the display quality? and how is it looks?

Dominic

Metla
25-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Interesting that superfishnz has now claimed to have purchased 2 completely different devices, Coincidence that when dedicated MP3 players are being discussed he just so happens to have bought one from the same company he constantly lists, and when Media players are discussed he just happens to have purchased one of those from the same company as well...

I smell a rat.

Bet if they sold cameras then a few old threads discussing them would have been dragged up as well, a link posted and a claim how they offer good value.

qyiet
25-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Dom, big names, do *not* necessarly mean better product. Both sony and apple have *nasty* vendor lock in here.

Think of it this way, ipod most definatly has mindshare in the mp3 player market. so anyone who wants to make an mp3 player has to think, "what will my music player do that is good enough to take market share off the ipod". So any music player on the market *should* be better than the ipod at *something* it could be smaller, cheaper, play more stuff, etc, etc.

ipod may be the choice for you, but to dismiss the other options out of hand, scary. I would suggest at least having a look at the stuff made by iriver (http://www.iriver.com/), archos (http://www.archos.com) and creative (http://www.creative.com). It is *very* pretty gear.

-qyiet

superfishnz
25-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Hey dds,

Yeh, mines work fine. Has a 3.6" inch screen - which is bigger than the 2.5" screen of the ipod video. Very watchable. Mine has as 20 Gig HDD. It doesn't require any additional drivers on Windows XP, just plug and play. Shows up as a removable drive, so I just copy the files into that drive of the player instead.

I just it for my divx and xvid movies 'on-the-go'. As you know with movies, people generally don't watch them more than twice on average, so the 20 Gigs of storage is enough to keep me entertained. It comes with strap, pouch and cable to output the player to TV instead (which is cool if you want to watch it with others on a TV so you're not just restricted to the built-in screen).

Display is very nice as well.

In terms of downloading music from the internet, I think of it as just like another 'USB' drive (but with all the added features). I just copy my music from my computer onto the player and that's it really. The same as copying a file from one folder to another folder. :D It doesn't need iTunes or anything.

That's my two cents. If only they have game capability like the PSP, that would be cool. I'm going to miss playing games going on holiday :(.

Cheers

dds
25-10-2005, 04:31 PM
oh oh, you guys are pushing me out of ipod hummm :waughh:
as you said qyiet, i think there may be lots of media players are more useable than just ipod, i what i heard about is they all have some problems like can't play some kind type of media, or easier to break. somehow, they do have some advantages that i might prefer to, maybe i should open my eyes. :)
alright, can you refer me some good ones? and my buget is no more than 600.
i need mp3,movie,photo,radio(not too recommend),long life of battery,and high quality of the display,not too heavy to carry. xixi, am i too greedy")
superfishnz, can you tell me how long is the battery life, and how much is for your media player?
Cheers
Dominic

qyiet
25-10-2005, 04:41 PM
To be honest, I don't want to push you out of the idea of an ipod dom, I just think it would be good to have a look at the other options. an ipod may be better, it may not be. But if you do get one, get it because it is better for you, and your intended usage.

I really can't recomend anything else because I have not used anything apart from the PSP and a Pocket PC that is portable and plays video. Have a look through the stuff I linked you to before. They are the biggest (I think) names in DAPs apart from apple.

-Qyiet

Metla
25-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Personally I would be looking at one that could play a wide selection of media, rather then just the DRM loaded media supplied by the manufacturer of the device. And one that didnt require the use of any specific vendor supplied software to restict you in the use of your gear.

Which counts out Apple and Sony.

dds
25-10-2005, 04:59 PM
:thumbs: yay, i have checked out archos and creative, they all have some great ones, and i am changing my mind now. i will go to the store to find out more.
anyway, thanks guys.
Dominic

superfishnz
25-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Personally I would be looking at one that could play a wide selection of media, rather then just the DRM loaded media supplied by the manufacturer of the device. And one that didnt require the use of any specific vendor supplied software to restict you in the use of your gear.

hey dds,

I agree with Metla, try not to limit yourself by having to have specific vendor supplied software. The one I have is from mediaplayers.co.nz and they are $599 (under your $600 budget :D).

Find one that suits your needs and what you want to use it for. Don't buy it cause it's advertised on TV, check out the features and what it can do. As I said before, mines do what I need it to you. That's to play DivX movies, mp3s, photos etc....

I haven't used the Archos or Creative ones yet, but they are abit pricey though. Mine's under $600, so it keeps me happy, I won't spend anymore than that.

plod
25-10-2005, 05:18 PM

ipod video will play other video besides the DRM loaded media supplied as long as its in one of the formats they support, also not hard to change a format with the right knowledge..
As for specific vendor supplied software, there will be a work around for that shortly if not now..
Does anyone know what the video looks like been run through a tv in any of these devices?

dds
26-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys
I checked Creative Zen Version yestoday at a store. and it looks nice, it has all my reqiures, but the only thing is it asked 675. :groan: anyway, i have to check more about archos, hope it has a fair price to me :stare: