PDA

View Full Version : Sygate or Outpost?

Murray P
25-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm going to give Kerio firewall the heave-ho as they are stopping development and support. Although it's still some way off, I want to change earlier rather than later and also have my suspicions regarding Kerio keeping up with the play in the meantime.

I'm tossing up between Sygate and Outpost. I've used the latter before, but a while ago and trialed the former (also a while ago). So, which one do people recommend? Has any other firewall impressed (excluding ZA)?

I'd prefer one that has a free and paid version, the free one would be used on the family PC (networked with my work one).

TIA

John H
25-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Murray, I have been using Sygate Personal Firewall for some years now, and upgraded to the Pro version because I liked it so much. Much prefer it to my last experience of Zone Alarm.

I am not sure there is much value in going the Pro way with Sygate, because the free version was just as effective for my purposes.

I haven't used Outpost so can't express an opinion either way.

Have you checked out www.grc.com? I think it gives opinions on the different firewalls somewhere.

Murray P
25-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks John, your input is appreciated. I have it downloaded and ready to go along with a few other candidates. It's looking like the front runner at the mo.

The GRC info on firewalls doesn't appear to have been updated since late 2001. It gives Sygate the thumbs up, along with ZA :yuck:

I'll check out a few links.

John H
25-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Hmmm. Sorry about the grc link. I thought they would be reasonably up to date, but 4 years out of date?

Sygate is quite easily trained. If you have a network, it is easy to put in a rule to allow all traffic between the networked computers and keep unwanted connections out.

Cheers, John

FoxyMX
25-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I am also currently using the free version of Sygate after previously running Kerio (old 2.x version) and Outpost prior to that.

Sygate is a bit similar to the old Kerio, more so than to Outpost so you should feel right at home with it.

The reason I dumped Outpost was because the free version did not support ICS when I was on dialup but otherwise I found it quite good.

The only thing that concerns me is that a computer that I put Outpost Free version on a year ago started nagging to upgrade to the paid Pro version which was a new trick that I had not come across before. Have yet to find out if other installations will do the same.

Rob99
25-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Sygate :thumbs:

bartsdadhomer
25-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I read somewhere that Symantec were buying Sygate
Is it still free?

FoxyMX
25-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Yep, Symantec have bought Sygate and there is still a free version... so far.

Thank goodness firewalls don't date like AV and spyware programs. There is talk that third-party firewalls won't be necessary after Vista is released. Hopefully they will still be available so that we do have a choice.

John H
25-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Thank goodness firewalls don't date like AV and spyware programs. There is talk that third-party firewalls won't be necessary after Vista is released. Hopefully they will still be available so that we do have a choice.

Groan - is there no end to the takeovers by Symantec? They can't design decent software themselves, so they use their economic power to parasitise those who can. Grump grump, whinge whinge... However, as you say, I don't need to have anything to do with them now that I have bought the programme. I will be a bit wary though of installing any more updates, just in case I end up buying into more trouble with Symantec (i.e. like Norton AV).

Prescott
25-10-2005, 05:43 PM
go Zonealarm!!!111

:p

i love it

Murray P
25-10-2005, 06:04 PM

Arrgh rats!! Nortons firewall was originally a purchase too. They stuffed it by trying to make it more useer friendly and, no doubt, the usual Symantic ploy of throwing hooks and bloated cludge at any software the get their mitts on. I'm sure they looked at the MS model and thought, "jeez, if they can do it, we'll do it too".

Being the open minded, big hearted uhm, that I am, I'm still very tempted to give it a chance. Hopefully I'll have a chance to uninstall it before the thing blows up like a dead sheep in the back paddock and acquires a taste for my hard drive :lol:

Myth
26-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Outpost Pro

Have been using it for a few years (still run it on partners computer, and within my dual-boot Win install).
Used to have ICS no problems, networks no probs as well.

Besides that, the fact that Symantec has anything to do with Sygate is reason enough NOT to use Sygate

FoxyMX
26-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Besides that, the fact that Symantec has anything to do with Sygate is reason enough NOT to use Sygate
Ah, but I got Sygate before Symantec took it over so I'm safe. :p

Actually, I don't think they have had it long enough to have messed around with it yet so grabbing it now may be everyone's last chance.

kakapo
26-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Sure Kerio are to discontinue development of Kerio 4 firewalls, yet there's been two updates since this announcement. It'll work well for quite some time and as I believe this software's too good to simply disappear, someone will pick it up and continue its development.

I'm a little concerned that so many people are dumping Kerio to try this firewall, then that one, then another. OK for experienced computer users, but there might be some very messed up machines with all those firewalls leaving remnants.

Of course, we're all free to use whatever firewall we wish but don't give up on Kerio yet. It may well morph into something else, but something just as good.

Happy Days

b1naryb0y
26-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Atguard used to be a great firewall before Symantec took it over.

It was highly configurable, and used very little system resources. Then Symantec f$#ked around with it, dumbed it down, increased it's system overhead and labelled it "Norton Personal Firewall". It went downhill from there.

Get Sygate firewall while you can, before it's turned into crud!

Murray P
26-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks peeps.

I think I'll keep Kerio on one machine and have a play with Sygate on the other.

Now, was it a vulnerabiliy in Sygate I heard about a wee while back, if so, has it been patched? You'd have to ask yourself, is it the first of Symantics new features? :rolleyes: If I don't like it, I'll have a fiddle with my old friend Agnitum Outpost. And, I think I'll out in a suggestion to Eset, that they make a firewall, if could be anything like their AV, it'd be a beauty.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2005, 02:16 PM
I installed Sygate last night. Its not bad.

Only thing is now, I have to find a decent ad / flash ad blocker for these annoying ads etc. Something that Nortons had built in.

Anyone know of one?

tweak'e
26-10-2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.admuncher.com/

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Ta Tweake, hopefully, it will kill most ads!

And its spyware/adware free.

I'll check it out.

dds
26-10-2005, 02:30 PM
dose google block works well? i am only using it, it seems to be fine.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Yup, that seemed to fix the prob. Small and it works!

Battleneter
27-10-2005, 07:28 PM
go Zonealarm!!!111

:p

i love it

Cough... ZA sucks, no port forward ability, its not a real firewall, its a internet restrickter.

stu161204
27-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Cough... ZA sucks, no port forward ability, its not a real firewall, its a internet restrickter.

That is the most crap I have head about ZA.

In ZA You can port forward ;)

Prescott
27-10-2005, 09:29 PM
we have had this debate for several threads and no one has proved battlenetter wrong, although he may be right, so tell us how you port forward then?

there must be a way...

tweak'e
27-10-2005, 11:19 PM
there is no such thing as "port forward" for a firewall. port forwarding is a NAT term. all battlenetter is doing is putting a hole in the firewall by configureing rules. ZA pro calls it "expert rules" and you can set them per program as well as system wide. other firewalls are similar, the names may be a bit different but they all work on the same princiable.

Battleneter
29-10-2005, 02:27 PM
That is the most crap I have head about ZA.

In ZA You can port forward ;)

Hehe, yea maybe I should drop it, its gettina a little old.

Ok where is the Port forward settings?

I am waiting?

Battleneter
29-10-2005, 02:37 PM
there is no such thing as "port forward" for a firewall. port forwarding is a NAT term. all battlenetter is doing is putting a hole in the firewall by configureing rules. ZA pro calls it "expert rules" and you can set them per program as well as system wide. other firewalls are similar, the names may be a bit different but they all work on the same princiable.

NO ZA does NOT do this in Expert rules, there is no place to manually enter a port address.

The system it uses is inbuilt Auto settings "trust,level,acess,server,email". This is NOT good enough for many applications and it still partially blocks some apllications as per many apllication sites.

Please don't post crap your not sure about. A great lecture that made it "sound" like you knew what you were talking about.

tweak'e
29-10-2005, 10:49 PM
mmmm........ strange.... i can enter IP addresses for source and destination and alter ports (under protocol). it certainly a bit different from others, unfortunatly ZApro is one firewall i've never bothered to use the rules.