PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Jetstream Speed Problems

Blort
25-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has similar problems:

Since early October I have been getting dramatic slowdowns in speed and high pings from about 5:00pm in the evenings. I have Xtra Jetstream Adventurer (high speed, 10Gb limit). I live in the North Shore, Auckland (Browns Bay). I have been running the speed tests that Telecom has asked me to do and my normal download speed is around 650 kilobytes/second. During evenings I am getting down to 30 kilobytes/second. These slowdowns occur for both my user ID and the jetstreamgames ID they gave me to use for the tests. Over this long weekend everything was fine until last night when the problem started occurring again.

I have heard horror stories about this sort of thing (e.g. they split one line between 20 customers). Before I go jumping to conclusions can anyone give me any advice?

- Is it possible that there have been new connections on my street/circuit and this is slowing me down?
- Are there any known problems in this location?
- Should I expect to be able to have reasonable speeds during this time of day (I pay for high speed and I expect to get it)? Basically I am getting less than dial-up speeds for extended periods of time.
- Is it likely that Telecom can assist to resolve the problem or will they just say 'bad luck there are lots of users'? Has anyone had any experience dealing with Telecom about this sort of thing? So far they have completely lost/deleted the original case, no one person has been assigned to 'own' my problem and I am now reduced to sending emails to a Telecom email address that is a group of people.
- Is there a list of know problems or another forum where people can discuss these Telecom problems?

Thanks for any advice or comments in advance :D

Billy T
25-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi Blort

Welcome to PF1.

Sounds like it could be a traffic issue to me, but you need to persist with Telecom and perhaps ask for a discounted rate if you are not getting the speed you pay for.

Nothing brings people to the party faster than talk of $$$, whether + or -.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Murray P
25-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I tend to agree with Billy.

Early October sounds a bit sus too, is this not the time when they've stopped (re)selling 128kb Jetsarter connections and migrating existing users to 256kb and higher. It sounds very much like your exchange is over worked at peak times.

Are there any particular web/download-sites that are slow, like overseas ones for eg?

I'd be pretty filthy if I was only getting 30KB regularly on a high speed connection.

Billy, could some kind of fault conspire with peak loads to give Blort a crappier connection than he might otherwise have sans fault? I don't think so as I think a fault would probably give problems all the time or in wet weather, but something in the exchange perhaps?

Billy T
25-10-2005, 07:15 PM
IMHO the nature of ADSL doesn't lend itself to slow-downs except by overload of resources. IIRC ADSL does not negotiate a connection speed in the manner that dial-up does, but I could be wrong.

I have noticed a difference between my morning/daytime and my early evening speeds, but nothing significant.

The problem is probably a data-pipe that isn't fat enough for the load. Probably worth a complaint to Telecom.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PaulD
25-10-2005, 08:45 PM
It craps out after 5pm and was OK over the week end. So Blort has some heavy users in his connection pool that work during the day and all went away for the week-end. Maybe it's an Xtra joke to put the heavy downloaders together :-)

Blort
26-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Hi, thanks for your replies. I spoke to Telecom again last night and now they have me running tracert tests for a day. The first tracert test showed that a gateway was giving excessively high response times (btw I was slowed to 3 kilobytes/second last night!). This morning everything was back to high speed no problems.
They say they have escalated the problem to another team (sigh) that is reponsible for gateways, that they commit to a 10 day resolution (now 7 days since they lost my first case) and that I should be getting 2 megabits as a minimum (at least they admit there is something wrong now).
When I email my latest test results back I will definitely be suggesting a discount.
There is no particular site local or international that it is slow for. It is equally slow for anything. I play games and get pings up to 20,000 to some of Xtra's game servers during these slow periods.

Greg
26-10-2005, 01:06 PM
You simply have to remember that there's no guarantee what speeds you'll get, as long as the connection is capable of the speed you signed up for. It's a shared connection, and you have no right to complain if in any given time span you're not getting the full speed your connection is capable of. :groan:

Murray P
26-10-2005, 01:52 PM
You simply have to remember that there's no guarantee what speeds you'll get, as long as the connection is capable of the speed you signed up for. It's a shared connection, and you have no right to complain if in any given time span you're not getting the full speed your connection is capable of. :groan:

Come on Greg, that's a load of cobblers.

Look at the rate he is being dropped to, it's more than pathetic for pitys sake. And, this is not an occasional occurrence.

Now look at Telecoms advertising, does it bear any relationship to what Blort is experiencing, is it fit for purpose when measured against what they say you can do?

If they want to provide sub-dialup connection speed, then they should charge sub-dialup fees. Hiding behind a TOU doesn't cut the mustard either IMO. Using your measure, non of us could expect more than intermittent usage at the rates advertised, while a provider can just keep piggy backing as many connections as physically possible at the exchange.

Besides, unless you know something specific about this particular situation, it could quite possibly be a fault or performance issue within the equipment. So there.

Blort
27-10-2005, 07:57 AM

Hi, I have every right to complain when the service does not meet minimum standards (less than dial-up speeds). Would you be happy paying $69.95 a month for less than dial-up speed? Telecom themselves sent me an email saying I should be getting at least 2 mbs. I accept that there are times when performance will vary but for crying out loud these periods of time are a matter of seconds not hours like I am experiencing. It takes me over a minute and a half just to load the XtraMSN main page in the evenings. Would you be happy with that?
Also I have the legal right to complain because the service provided is not 'fit for purpose'.
Do you work for Telecom?

ProMaz
28-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I've been having the same problem, but I'm living in Parnell. Around 6 ~ 7 o' clock the speed of my connection drops considerably.

Blort
31-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi, thanks so far to those who have provided some useful suggestions....especially about not paying for service not received. I am still awaiting a response from Telecom about whether they have addressed my problem. However since last Friday my speeds have been back to normal (I hope I am not putting the kiss of death on my problem by saying this!).

SurferJoe46
31-10-2005, 09:49 AM
My ISP (Verizon USA) provides thie neat gauge (http://infospeed.verizon.net/speedtest/speedtest500k.asp) to test my connection speeds.

Although it states that it is only for Verizon accounts, I have not had anyone refused test results even if they are in another country...NZ MIGHT be an exception.

My not being there in NZ, I cannot benchtest this myself. Maybe you can try it to see the actual lag and delays on your system....or not! Let me know if you can. :confused:

Also not sure if it works for Dial-up...maybe! :waughh:

intel hunter
31-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Of No help to the original post but as far as the post by SurferJoe46

That link for Verizon works ok in NZ, good thruput as well on Woosh Wireless, and at the speed advertised by them.

Regards Fred

SurferJoe46
31-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Of No help to the original post but as far as the post by SurferJoe46

That link for Verizon works ok in NZ, good thruput as well on Woosh Wireless, and at the speed advertised by them.

Regards Fred

Thanks, Fred

I'll add NZ to the list of places it DOES work!

Blort
31-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi, this is the link that Telecom gave me to test my speed (I am not sure if it is only available to Xtra customers). Note: the 500k test is the only 'automatic' test that seems to work.

Click here (http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/)

Blort
03-11-2005, 10:29 AM
OK, I did put the kiss-of-death on this problem. It appears to be no better than before. i have now seen a few posts on other forums from people in my area (Torbay and Browns Bay) that are having the same problem. What a relief that it is not just me!
So if you are having similar problems please post here (more ammunition for Telecom).
Thanks in advance. :D

Battleneter
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Actually I live in CHCH and have noticed a near half in speed in the last two weeks. Also Latency issues and high tracert times, also web pages not opening on the first attempts etc. Xtra so far have been very little help, basically logging the call and reseting my port (big whoop). I am 99% certain its nothing at my end.

The new Ihug plans are looking better by the minute.

DangerousDave
03-11-2005, 08:57 PM
OK, I did put the kiss-of-death on this problem. It appears to be no better than before. i have now seen a few posts on other forums from people in my area (Torbay and Browns Bay) that are having the same problem. What a relief that it is not just me!
So if you are having similar problems please post here (more ammunition for Telecom).
Thanks in advance. :D
I'm on the same exchange I think, but havn't noticed anything. I'm going onto 2mb next month (well 1.4mb since my phoneline is ****) and will be able to see then. The phone exchange along Beach Rd is an archaic monster. And they won't do anything about it now until digital transition in a few years.

Murray P
03-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Hi, this is the link that Telecom gave me to test my speed (I am not sure if it is only available to Xtra customers). Note: the 500k test is the only 'automatic' test that seems to work.

Click here (http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/)

OT, but that seems to work ok for Saturn/Paradise cable:

Your line speed is approximately 2171.4 Kbps or 266.1 K bytes/sec

Nice to know my speed is ok ;)

The phone exchange along Beach Rd is an archaic monster. And they won't do anything about it now until digital transition in a few years.

Not really good enough is it. If they're will ing to sell the product in the area, they should back it up with the infastructure.

Could that be deemed false representation?

PaulD
03-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Your line speed is approximately 2171.4 Kbps or 266.1 K bytes/sec

Nice to know my speed is ok ;)

Not really good enough is it. If they're will ing to sell the product in the area, they should back it up with the infastructure.

How would an on line speed test know what your line speed is? It tells you your through put. The line speed could be double or triple that on full rate ADSL. On restricted rate plans the line rate is limited closer to the plan rate to cut down on unnecessary cross talk

If Blort's problem isn't related to bandwidth problems perhaps there's some local interferance that starts in the evenings except for some week ends and knocks out some of his actual line speed.

What the exchange looks like has no bearing on what's inside. The local exchange was built for 1930s rotary. The modern equipment now stands in the corner of a huge empty room.

Murray P
04-11-2005, 12:29 AM
I was responding to and, took Dave's comment to include the equipment within the exchange, not just it's appearance ie. "And they won't do anything about it now until digital transition in a few years." My bad, slightly, if that is incorrect.

Whatever is causing Blorts problems is kind of irrelavant if it is outside of his termination IMO, because that's where the provoders responsibility for providing a fit product starts. However, it seems that it is very unlikely to be an issue anywhere but from the exchange and places beyond. Whatever the technical issue should not really be the end users concern, unless they have direct control of it, yes?

The speed test was a side issue, hence the OT and deliberate separation from the discussion at hand within my post and the fact that I use cable and not Telecom ADSL. OK! Cool.

PaulD
04-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Whatever the technical issue should not really be the end users concern, unless they have direct control of it, yes?

The speed test was a side issue, hence the OT and deliberate separation from the discussion at hand within my post and the fact that I use cable and not Telecom ADSL. OK! Cool.

Blort has mentioned that the slowdowns seem to occur at certain times. I would guess that unless others also complain, the reality will be that he will have to collect enough data to get someone interested.

Billy T said "IIRC ADSL does not negotiate a connection speed in the manner that dial-up does, but I could be wrong"

ADSL does negoitiate a connection in the manner of dialup except that there are 256x 4kHz bands downstream and 32 upstream. Reduced rate plans won't use them all. On line throughput tests can confirm that you are getting the maximum that you can expect but if it's less, you don't know where in the chain the restriction is. If Blort's drastic slow down was related to line interferance it would be useful to know what speed the modem was synchronised at. Probably the user interface on most modems has been dumbed down and won't show that type of info.

Mr Wetzyl
04-11-2005, 08:54 AM
sometimes I got a download speed of about 20kBps...from my 2m download plan with xtra on heavy traffic times...on best times I got about 300kBps...

Mr Wetzyl
04-11-2005, 09:21 AM
try this:
a tweak for broadband...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
"GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:00007fff

*Remember to back up your registry first...

dwnz
04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
I had this over the last few weeks. Pining google would get me around 1700ms, and when i tried to visit it it would take a few refreshes to get it to load, yet all NZ sites seemed to be running at normal speed. But its all fixed now (well as fixed as xtra can be), and i have normal ping times

(Im in Brooklyn, Wellington)

Daniel

Murray P
04-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Paul, I think we are talking at cross purposes a little.

As far as I'm concerned, if there is a fault outside of the termination point, then it is up to the provider to fix it. If the equipment is not capable of handling the loads subjected to it (those loads that have resulted from promotion and sales by the provider), then the provider should rectify the situation.

The consumer should not be required to carry out, potentially highly, technical troubleshooting of the providers network.

What I understand Billy to be saying, is that the issue appears to be more one of loading than a fault. All the symptoms tend to point in that direction as well, but, as per above, it is not the end users role to diagnose someone elses problem, although it may be helpful if the problem could be pointed out, even if their role in this deal is to consume and pay for that consumption.

BTW, alot of routers allow access via a command line which opens up a whole new bunch of settings.

linw
04-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Battleneter, I, too, have had pages needing two tries to open them. Only a recent phenomenon. I'm in Plimmerton. I am seriously looking at IHUG, too - no brainer for my usage pattern.

PaulD
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Paul, I think we are talking at cross purposes a little.

As far as I'm concerned, if there is a fault outside of the termination point, then it is up to the provider to fix it. If the equipment is not capable of handling the loads subjected to it (those loads that have resulted from promotion and sales by the provider), then the provider should rectify the situation.

The consumer should not be required to carry out, potentially highly, technical troubleshooting of the providers network.

What I understand Billy to be saying, is that the issue appears to be more one of loading than a fault.

My 1st post in this thread suggested loading as well. Orcon got into trouble with too many subscribers for their onward connection. Everyone moaned like mad and eventually things improved. In Blort's case its hard too tell, either there are lots of complaints and Xtra's helpdesk are buying time by getting him to do pointless tasks or he does have a problem that only affects a few.
AFAIK Xtra's helpdesk are contractors, if you have a problem that doesn't follow the script, you have to persuade them to pass it up the chain.

Battleneter
06-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Battleneter, I, too, have had pages needing two tries to open them. Only a recent phenomenon. I'm in Plimmerton. I am seriously looking at IHUG, too - no brainer for my usage pattern.

Yea good call, the way I see it Ihug can't be much worse, and 4 times the cap for the same price, its a win win situation. I have arranged to switch next month with no connection fee (12 month contract), maybe $99 to break it but he wasn't sure as I am already on ADSL (but not bitstream).

Lohsing
06-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm on the same exchange I think, but havn't noticed anything. I'm going onto 2mb next month (well 1.4mb since my phoneline is ****) and will be able to see then. The phone exchange along Beach Rd is an archaic monster. And they won't do anything about it now until digital transition in a few years.
Beach Road as in Auckland City..? I'm moving there tomorrow... Am i in for slow speeds too...?!

Lo.

Blort
07-11-2005, 08:35 AM
OK, time for an update;

Due to getting "there is no timeframe for resolution of your problem" comments in writing from Telecom I decided to write a letter of complaint which I sent last Friday. Extracts from the letter here:

• I paid for high a high speed plan (and continue to do so) yet have not received the service I paid for. Last month I paid $69.95. I do not wish to pay for a service not received and request compensation until such time as the problem is resolved.
• Yesterday I rang Xtra again and requested compensation and someone to take responsibility for resolving the problem. I have yet to hear back from anyone to-date about that matter.
• I have been advised in both writing and verbally that there is no timeframe for resolution of the problem. When a customer is not receiving the service paid for that is an unacceptable response. At the least I would expect that I am updated on a regular basis.
• My name is xxxxxx and I do not appreciate being confused for someone else in correspondence.
• You most recent advertising highlights the ability to watch streaming video and play games using Xtra. For me this can be interpreted to be misleading advertising and of interest to the Advertising Standards Authority.
• The nature of the problem visible to me leads me to conclude that the product you provide me is currently not ‘fit for purpose’. I know that it was OK before early October and simply wish to have it resumed.
• There are quite a number of people in the same geographical area having similar problems to me. This is becoming general knowledge on ADSL and other technical forums. It may only be a matter of time before these problems (and lack of progress fixing them) become public knowledge. I certainly won’t be hesitating talking to the media if I am approached, especially after the lack of service I am receiving.
• I have received problem free broadband until the beginning of October 2005. I am not interested to hear excuses that my location, distance from the exchange etc. are not suitable. It was suitable until early October and I wish to have my normal service resumed. Surely part of your diagnostics is to examine what changes to your network was made in early October? I am certain the problem is not my fault however I am comfortable for a technician to visit my premises free-of-charge to check.

================================================== =========
Now I have yet to hear back from Telecom, the problems continue (less than dial-up speeds in the evenings) and I am no better off. What to do next? Send a letter to Theresa Gattung?