PDA

View Full Version : What is Uploading

JJJJJ
25-10-2005, 07:17 AM
I've been reading complaints about the "upload speed" of broadband, and I've been wondering exactly what is uploading.
The only thing I can think of is sending an e-mail. That certainly is fast enough for me.
So why are people complaining about slow upload speeds?

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2005, 07:27 AM
I think upload in this case, means sending files to someone else, whether its thru some IM program, like MS Messenger, Yahoo, or in IRC.

Its the opposite of downloading. Where u download something from a site, from a mate, from IRC, or I spose getting updates for XP, games etc?

Safari
25-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Read the post from Metla on this thread and you will get an idea why upload speeds are important for business reasons
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=397398#post397398

Others though spend most of their life bouncing useless files around the internet just because they can and would be better off reading a book or doing something useful with their life. They are usually the ones who complain that a 40 GB cap is too restrictive for them.

maccrazy
25-10-2005, 08:48 AM
For sending emails the current upload speeds aren't that restrictive, but if you have a website and need to upload large files to the server etc then the faster the upload speed the better. :)

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2005, 09:05 AM
"Uploading" is where you are "pushing" a file somwhere, such as sending it through MSN, sending it to an FTP server.

If you have a file sitting on a web-server and somebody "downloads" it from you, then you are "hosting" a file.

"Upload speeds" are the speeds at which you can upload/send data.

The term is used lightly thou, and usually means "sending of data".

Just for the record Safari, I do 60GB roughly per month, yet still manage to spend 2-3 hours per night out and about after work. Please dont be so general next time :)

dds
25-10-2005, 09:48 AM
another case is you are using a p2p download tool. this tool when you use is uploading as the same time downloading.
i use Btcomit, it uploads even more than i downlaod. :illogical

Prescott
25-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Just for the record Safari, I do 60GB roughly per month, yet still manage to spend 2-3 hours per night out and about after work. Please dont be so general next time :)

woah 60gb, where does it all go?

vapo
25-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Arrr me hearties!

Prescott
25-10-2005, 08:49 PM
would that be from torrents??

robsonde
25-10-2005, 08:53 PM
hosting a website form home is a good use of uploading and can use a lot of data with out going down the P2P road.

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Robsonde is right on the money.

That and I always seed my torrents. Usually I'll have a linux ISO down and only seeded about 50% what Ive downloaded, so I'll leave it open for a day or two.

Its not hard to go through bandwidth, not hard at all!!

vapo
26-10-2005, 12:27 AM
I have great skepticism for people saying they can use 60GB a month transferring "linux distros". Lets say a linux distro is 3CDs at about 700MB each. Well one distro would be about 2GB. So you transferred 60GB of linux distro? That's like downloading 30 different distro versions. I mean what would be the point? And where would you find the time to install them all?

And what would you get from uploading that amount of "linux distro"? A pat on the back? Just an expensive internet bill at the end of the month I think.

JJJJJ
26-10-2005, 05:55 AM
I have great skepticism for people saying they can use 60GB a month transferring "linux distros". Lets say a linux distro is 3CDs at about 700MB each. Well one distro would be about 2GB. So you transferred 60GB of linux distro? That's like downloading 30 different distro versions. I mean what would be the point? And where would you find the time to install them all?

And what would you get from uploading that amount of "linux distro"? A pat on the back? Just an expensive internet bill at the end of the month I think.

I've been thinking much the same thing.
One point. If nothing else it should firmly deter anyone who is thinking of switching to Linux.

Greven
26-10-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm on unlimited 256k so I leave my linux distros seeding whenever I'm not playing games because it doesn't cost me anything.

Safari
26-10-2005, 08:43 AM
What is it with Linux that distros have to be downloaded every second day and then sprayed all over the net for others to download.
Is this an operating system or a life style.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Im writing my own distro, so shoot me for using my web server as a way of distributing it to people across the world who can offer me good feedback etc?!

I understand where you come from, but please, dont go labelling me!

Its a single CD LiveCD and I just boot it up in qEmu :)

Safari
26-10-2005, 08:56 AM
woah 60gb, where does it all go?

Is is a form of addiction and needs addressing like any other addiction.
Interesting read at this link for those who haven't seen it before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4242751.stm
With an estimated five million people now connected to broadband at home, one early internet enthusiast is giving it up for good. David McCandless explains why he's given it the boot.

I, however, had a 'phat pipe' installed at home. Every evening: me, 17 browser windows open, working the keyboard like a concert pianist, dazzling my friends with all the film trailers, terrible flash animations and MP3s I could download simultaneously.

'Bandwidth guilt'

Gradually, though, the novelty of a fast connection has worn off. Disillusion has set in. I've slowly come to a terrible realisation: there isn't really that much I can do with broadband.

I have no far-off relatives to wave at down a video conferencing connection. Threats of divorce stopped me playing online games a few years ago. Sure, I enjoy streaming clips of the news but I can also just turn my head slightly and watch it on my TV. There used to be some joy for me feeling secure downloading hefty Microsoft security patches, but now I've given up on Windows and got a Mac instead.

Having nothing much to do with your broadband gives rise to a curious sensation that could be termed: "bandwidth guilt". When I'm not using it, I feel like I should be. I keep trying to find ways to utilise its sheer power - and justify the 30 a month fee. I feel bad if I don't.

And the only thing I've discovered that really gives my ADSL a workout is, sadly, illegal. I'd rather not go into it here. Let's just say it's the not-so-well-kept secret of what everyone is using broadband for. Depending on who you talk to, between 50% and 65% of all internet traffic is currently peer-to-peer (p2p) piracy. Everyone's doing it. Do you know what technology makes it possible? Yep. Broadband.

Spending an inordinate amount of time at my computer, using my broadband, I'm developing what I can only term an information habit.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes, its an addiction Im proud of.

Whats worse: Me using the worlds bandwidth, or me off down some backstreet spending my hard-earned $$ getting high smoking dope and sniffing paint?

Everybody has _some_ addiction, and if optimising/breaking my Gentoo installation and using the worlds bandwidth is mine, then Im happy to wear that label :)

Safari
26-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Yes, its an addiction Im proud of.

Whats worse: Me using the worlds bandwidth, or me off down some backstreet spending my hard-earned $$ getting high smoking dope and sniffing paint?

Everybody has _some_ addiction, and if optimising/breaking my Gentoo installation and using the worlds bandwidth is mine, then Im happy to wear that label :)

I was not getting at you Chill - you are obviously doing something useful and constructive. Not everyone does that with their 60Gb a month.

Greg
26-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Upload speeds of course mean a lot to online gamers - sure 2Mb/s is a fair and reasonable speed for downloading, but your upload speed counts for almost as much. Bah at 128k! :mad:

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Yeah, upload speeds would be more what I'd prefer than faster download speeds. Even 512kbps Up/Down flat rate.. I'd pay a hundred bux for that a month!!!