PDA

View Full Version : audio driver wont stay installed

jonp
24-10-2005, 05:36 PM
hi

i have an acer laptop that i purchased recently, and every time i boot up the audio driver (i think) does not work. I believe this cos if i put in a mp3 cd it wont play. then i look at device manager and there is a exclamation mark next to the "realtek AC97 Audio". I uninstall this, reboot, and then on reboot the pc automatically detects the new hardware reinstalls the driver and I have sound - until the next time whence i have to go through the same procedures!!!

Anybody got any ideas ?

Thanks

PS If i use the cd driver to play mp3's all day long (via an amp etc) is this bad news for the hardware or should it be ok ? This saves me clogging up the hard-drive with music files left, right and centre.

thanks again

gibler
24-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Try the latest realtek drivers (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True)

Bam_Bam
24-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Acer have posted a knowledge base article regarding their Travelmate and Aspire range of notebooks, that suffer from random loss of sound on boot. You might want to check it out to see if it fits your scenario.

Acer Link (http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?recordid=848&formid=3390&website=AcerPanAm.com&originwebsite=AcerPanAm.com&pupv=pu)

Regards

jonp
25-10-2005, 08:38 AM
thanks bam bam. i downloaded the latest realtek drivers last night at (touch wood) that appears to have worked. If it continues I'll give acers suggestion a bash.

dds
25-10-2005, 09:33 AM
if you use cd-room to play misc all day long, both the cd-rom and hhd will be worse and worse.

jonp
25-10-2005, 11:31 AM
if you use cd-room to play misc all day long, both the cd-rom and hhd will be worse and worse.

oh dear. may have to get a mp3 player then and hook that up to the amp

out of interest why would that be ? people use their pc's to listen to the radio over the net and MP3's all day with no "apparent" problems ?