PDA

View Full Version : RAID Configuration Problems

bluepoles
23-10-2005, 04:25 PM
I have 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST340014A drives (40gb) and want to do a RAID to merge the two drives so that it shows up as one 80gb drive in windows, how do i do this, where do i put the jumpers etc...

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2005, 04:43 PM
What kind of raid does the mobo support?? IS RAID onboard?

And what kind of hdds are those?? IDE or SATA?

Cant be SATA, they dont have jumpers.

If the mobo has RAID onboard, RAID needs to be enabled in the BIOS, before you install windows on it.

bluepoles
23-10-2005, 04:51 PM
The RAID is onboard, the drives are connected with one cable with one drive as slave and the other as master, the closest i get is a RAID 0 of one drive. The drives are IDE

georgeks
18-12-2005, 07:16 AM
You must set BOTH drives as Master

tweak'e
18-12-2005, 09:50 AM
The RAID is onboard, the drives are connected with one cable with one drive as slave and the other as master, the closest i get is a RAID 0 of one drive. The drives are IDE
you need to have each drive on its own cable and set to master. having them on 1 cable as you have done, will make it run a lot slower.

don't forget to set the stripe size to a size thats good for what you use it for. also some cards perform better with certain stripe sizes than others. check out any benchmarks before setting it.

bluepoles
19-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks for that. I will try tomorrow as it is a bit late tonight... :)

bluepoles
24-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Setting both drives to master didnt work. How ever it seems that the drives need to be on seperate channels but there is only one IDE channel of this board the rest are SATA. Thanks for the help. :thumbs:

dugimodo
27-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Just a thought, probably useless with XP home, but XP pro allows software RAID and also can simply span disks with dynamic volumes. Only limitations are that it uses some cpu time and you can't install the os on the RAID drive.

also as stated by others RAID on a single ide channel won't gain you much performance.

Merry Xmas

Growly
27-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Does your board specifically support IDE RAID?

bluepoles
28-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah I am pretty sure its a combined PATA and SATA RAID controller. I have the two drives connected now to it but not in a RAID....

Speedy Gonzales
28-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Normally, you enable RAID in the BIOS before anything else.

Did you install the RAID drivers (if there were any) from the mobo cd (extract them to floppy), and install them during the install of XP?

And what RAID does it support? 0? 1? 5? 10?