PDA

View Full Version : Replacing CD-ROM drive

martynz
23-10-2005, 11:40 AM
The CD-ROM drive in my laptop is playing up, temperamental playing DVDs, sometimes whirrs away at high speed etc. etc. In addition it will only play commercially produced CDs and DVDs.
I can obtain a replacement from the supplier in the UK, maybe even get one here in NZ. But the $64,000 question is can I replace it with a later model i.e one that plays burned CDs and DVDs as well as commercial ones? My UK supplier seems singularly reluctant to advise me on this.
OK, I know some people will say...Buy a new laptop....but indulge my whim on this one please.
I believe its a re-badged Asus and the drive is a Toshiba SD-C2302.

Martynz

Graham L
23-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Any DVD/CD computer drive should read "burned" CDs.

Early CD drives had problems with non-pressed disks (because burned disks are not standard CDs . :D The standard required the contrast given by pressed grooves. However, as soon as burners became common the manufacturers of readers had to make the readers work with less contrast.

Although early DVD drives might have had trouble reading burned DVDs the ones produced now should conform with reality, too.

martynz
23-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks Graham for telling me what I already know.
You havn't answered my question however.

Martynz

tweak'e
23-10-2005, 05:34 PM
i don't know much on laptops but i suspect most cd drives are not interchangable between brands/models unless the manafactures lists it as such. you may need to get an external.