PDA

View Full Version : Backing up and etc...

Naruto28
23-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I have got Windows ME and want to change to XP.

People say that if I do change I will first need to delete ME in command. Then I will need to Install XP.

But Before that i will need to back up my files. Unfortunately i do not no which files to backup. I do not no which folders are important and which are not.

There are millions of files! and I dont even no wat they r. They came with the PC already, those files. Ther are SOOOOOOOO many files. Which ones do i back up? Plz enlighten me.

Oh...And a nother question. Can i delete Temp files without worrying?

Thnx. ^_^

rodb
23-10-2005, 11:48 AM
I presume you have the upgrade version of XP, and in that case you just insert the CD and run it. There is no need to do anything with Me as it will be replaced.
As far as backing up data beforehand, this is purely for your peace of mind in case you have a power failure or some other disaster during the upgrade. The obvious files to be backed up are data files, images, etc.
Also, don't forget that some of your peripherals (printer, external drive, eg) may need updated drivers to operate properly under XP. Download these from the manufacturer's website before doing the upgrade.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Well depends what the files are you want to back up, if u have a partition on the hdd copy the exe / files you've downloaded to it.

Program files on the other hand that have already been installed.

Forget it, install XP, and reinstall the programs u want. And the updates for XP / the programs after.

Graham L
23-10-2005, 01:31 PM
The first question to ask is: Is it a good idea to change to Windows XP?

If the computer came with Windows ME installed, it might not have enough resources to run XP properly.

The only things you need to back up are your own data files. Any email records, your word processor files, music files ... anything you have caused to be stored on the computer.

The other things ... the operating system's files, other application programmes, ... are just a waste of backup media. You can't just reload them from backup media and have them magically work in a different operating system.

Jen
23-10-2005, 04:26 PM
FAQ #40 - How do I backup my important files? Which files should I back up? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.php?faq=pressf1_faq_windows#faq_pressf1_faq_40 )

Don't forget to check whether your existing peripheral hardware such as scanners and printers are compatible with XP. Visit the manufacturers' website and see if they offer drivers for XP.

If your current computer is low on specifications, then as Graham mentions, you may not be doing yourself a favour with upgrading to XP.

Naruto28
24-10-2005, 03:02 AM
Some Programs that I have installed like DivX or Quicktime Player, sometimes they dont come with the 'Installation Icon thing' it automatically installs itself.

If I havent got the Quicktime player Installation Icon thing, can i just backup the Program? Will it install auto if I then put it on the new PC and click on Quicktime?

If I do Backup Programs Ive downloaded do i just go to:

C:/Program Files/*the program* and copy and paste? If say Quicktime for example, will there be other important files hidden somewhere else in my Computer orr will all the files be in the 'Quicktime' folder?

Thnx. :rolleyes:

Jen
24-10-2005, 08:02 AM
You need to have the original installer for your programs. Rarely would a program handle having only its directory copied and pasted and still work afterwards. It will need its registry entries that are made during the installation process.

You should have the installation disks for your programs, or download the latest version off the net for Quicktime etc.

For future backups, always save your original downloaded installer files to a separate folder so that they can be found and backed up easily.