PDA

View Full Version : Rebooting Computer

Fenikx
23-10-2005, 11:05 AM
I've made abit of a mess on my computer and wanting to reboot it to how it was when I first brought (out of the box), how is this done with Windows XP?

:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Depends if u brought it as a system, or whether u made / built it.

If its a system there maybe a hidden partition on the hdd, or a recovery cd. I dont know. I've never had a system with either.

If u made it up, you'll need the XP cd to boot from, so XP can be reinstalled.

shady
23-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Depends if u brought it as a system, or whether u made / built it.

If its a system there maybe a hidden partition on the hdd, or a recovery cd. I dont know. I've never had a system with either.

If u made it up, you'll need the XP cd to boot from, so XP can be reinstalled.

You push one of the F buttons, but your hand-book should tell you.

pctek
23-10-2005, 04:18 PM
I've made abit of a mess on my computer and wanting to reboot it to how it was when I first brought (out of the box), how is this done with Windows XP?

:badpc:
Reboot - to restart the computer.
Reinstall - to load your operating system again.

If its a brand PC such as Dell, Compaq etc, yu have a Restore or Recovery Utility, normally it shows you the function key to press to start the process when you first boot the PC.

If its not, then insert the XP CD and boot from it then follow the wizard...

Jen
23-10-2005, 04:20 PM
If you post back with the brand/model of your computer, this will enable more specific instructions. Also, whether you have an installation or recovery CD of the operating system provided with your computer.

pctek
23-10-2005, 04:27 PM
In case you wondered where all this terminology came from:

Boot is short for bootstrap, which in olden days was a strap attached to the top of your boot that you could pull to help get your boot on. Hence, the expression "pull oneself up by the bootstraps."

In computers, this term refers to any process where a simple system activates a more complicated system. It is the problem of starting a certain system without the system already functioning. It seems just as impossible as "pulling oneself up by the bootstraps" which Baron Münchhausen, according to stories, could do. However, solutions, accordingly called bootstrapping, exist; they are processes whereby a complex system emerges by starting simply and, bit by bit, developing more complex capabilities on top of the simpler ones.

When a computer is booted, a bootstrap routine is automatically executed that looks for and loads the operating system. A cold boot is when the computer is powered up from an off state. A warm boot occurs when an already turned on computer is re-booted.
2. A process by which a short loader program loads itself into memory and then loads a longer program. The program brings itself into a desired state through its own action. This can be in a computer or other CPU controlled device, usually call an intelligent device. It is the startup process.

Fenikx
23-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the history pctek.... =)

ok ok here's what Ive done to come to this mess

Computer came as a replacement for old one, already has XP on it. I installed Linux Mandrake 10 onto it, pretty sure on the same partition as XP. Then I wanted to uninstall Linux got told I could just re-installed windows.
So I inserted disk and now I have sort of a mess....lol

I don't know too much about this computer besides it's an Insite PC with:

Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 2.66GHz
RAM: 256MB
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc
Modem: Lucent Win Modem
Motherboard: SIS 661FX
HD: Samsung SP0411N - 40GB
O/S: MS Windows XP Home - SP2

The disk I used is titled: Insite Product Recovery CD-ROM

* I wanted to uninstall Linux to have more space on my hard drive, I believe Linux is still on Drive but can't access it....

pctek
23-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Well what you need to do now is fdisk and reformat the drive.
If you can get hold of an XP CD it will do it for you. You can then use your recovery CD to get it all back to how it was originally.

Fenikx
24-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Getting an error message:

"Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again"

What do I do to stop getting this? :confused:

drcspy
24-10-2005, 05:25 AM
its IMPOSSIBLE to try to format, (wipe) c drive when you are 'in' windows.......essentially you are trying to get windows to destroy itself........and while windows is famous for selfdestructing you cant get it to do it that way.......you need to stuff in your recovery cd and restart the pc with it in there........watch carefully during the process and if it gives you the option to format the drive say yes...........

pctek
24-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Getting an error message:

"Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again"

What do I do to stop getting this? :confused:
BOOT off the XP CD. It will go to the install options, there you can delete existing partitions and reformat. THEN run your recovery CDs.

Fenikx
24-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't get the option of formatting drive while Recovery CD is in there...
I don't have the XP CD just the Recovery CD...

gibler
24-10-2005, 11:58 AM
If you have a floppy drive, you could download madboot boot floppy (http://www.tucows.com/preview/345398) and start off that, selecting GDisk to wipe out the linux partitions (use remove all partitions on drive) and then use Gdisk to create a single FAT32 partition.

Of course this wipes out all data on the hard drive...

drcspy
24-10-2005, 03:20 PM
the recovery cd should give you most likely two options..........somethign like 'repair' the installation or 'install clean back to factory spec'..........THAT one will include format........

Fenikx
24-10-2005, 06:36 PM
...YES...YES!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! to all that help :D