PDA

View Full Version : Windows "hotfixes" how to solve these?? ANYONE PLEASE

andrewkye
20-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi are you ready...ok
I ran a diagnostic program belzaric or something like that and it brought to notice all these hotfixes that need attention. I run Windows Xp and assumed that I could find these on the microsoft web site. After searching for some of these nothing!
They are as follows:
q816093- Critical
q873333- important.
q873339- imp.
q885258-crit.
there are like eleven others
I'm not sure as to what is the next direction that I should take, this is my first ever posting so's I hope I've followed appropriate etiquette.
Thanking you in advance

SurferJoe46
20-10-2005, 04:59 PM
What you are refering to is Belarc Adviser...and it does a pretty good job of finding broken or incorrectly installed hot fixes from M$.

Go to the Windows Catalog area (On IE, unfortunately) and type the fix number in the browser they provide. There will be a wealth of info there to chose from for each and every bad download or incomplete install.

Please post back with your successes/failures for further help......

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Go to windowsupdate site first, see what comes up then go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

Type the KB # here under search, if u want to save a copy on the hdd.

SurferJoe46
20-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Speedy:

I think the fact that the hotfixes didn't "take" the first time makes it a little hard to just goto the update area and try again. I went this route a few times with them and finally found I had to get each and every one by themselves, hot booting after every one and then going for another. Sometimes, I had to leave one off till the others got in..but that's just my experience.

I vowed to never let my updates get late ever again...and things are running happily every after...so far!

I personally think the catalog area is a better choice..but it might be a little scarey to a newbee. The one thing I did learn is that when you are in the catalog area.......you gotta read everything...

and I mean EVERYTHING they post...

........it makes a big difference if you get the wrong file.

Wondering why M$ makes it so hard...what with cryptic error messages and phrases that like another post on another subject said "Things that were written by the writers of the Goon Show"....or something to that order. It ain't easy..and the learning curve gets more obtuse all the time.

Time to get out our prayer shawls and let the powers that be know we want Google to take over the internet.

SurferJoe46
20-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Speedy:

I think the fact that the hotfixes didn't "take" the first time makes it a little hard to just goto the update area and try again. I went this route a few times with them and finally found I had to get each and every one by themselves, hot booting after every one and then going for another. Sometimes, I had to leave one off till the others got in..but that's just my experience.

I vowed to never let my updates get late ever again...and things are running happily every after...so far!

I personally think the catalog area is a better choice..but it might be a little scarey to a newbee. The one thing I did learn is that when you are in the catalog area.......you gotta read everything...

and I mean EVERYTHING they post...

........it makes a big difference if you get the wrong file.

Wondering why M$ makes it so hard...what with cryptic error messages and phrases that like another post on another subject said "Things that were written by the writers of the Goon Show"....or something to that order. It ain't easy..and the learning curve gets more obtuse all the time.

Time to get out our prayer shawls and let the powers that be know we want Google to take over the internet.

SurferJoe46
20-10-2005, 06:03 PM
BTW: It took me six attempts to get this post to "post".

Did someone forget to wind up the server again or did the sun just go behind a cloud in NZ?

SurferJoe46
20-10-2005, 06:05 PM
...and sorry for what I see now is a double post...but I still say it was slow electrons!

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2005, 06:07 PM
? I cant see anything about it not working the first time.

Oh well good luck. My previous post, and the main sites, work fine here.

I usually go to the download site, and download whatever fix.

Saves me going to windowsupdate, to get the same file twice, for the 2 PC's here.

drcspy
20-10-2005, 07:17 PM
try here

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/