PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm and Norton AV

garyasta
20-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I have Norton AV operating and have just installed Zone Alarm. Norton is set to monitor emails incoming and outgoing.

I am also running Spyware Doctor, Counterspy and Microsoft Antispyware.

Am I subjecting my system to overkill and slowing the system down?

I understand that Counterspy should cover the processes of Spyware Doctor and Microsoft Antispyware. Should I disable them?

I would appreciate your comments.

Regards
Gary

tweak'e
20-10-2005, 05:27 PM
not a good thing to run ZA mail protection if your runnning an antivirus mail protection. the two are known to cause problems. see the ZA faq.

proberly overkill with the spyware protection. only one needs to be running.

Safari
20-10-2005, 05:35 PM
not a good thing to run ZA mail protection if your runnning an antivirus mail protection. the two are known to cause problems. see the ZA faq.

proberly overkill with the spyware protection. only one needs to be running.

ZA mail protection is not part of the free version.

Battleneter
20-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I have Norton AV operating and have just installed Zone Alarm. Norton is set to monitor emails incoming and outgoing.

I am also running Spyware Doctor, Counterspy and Microsoft Antispyware.

Am I subjecting my system to overkill and slowing the system down?

I understand that Counterspy should cover the processes of Spyware Doctor and Microsoft Antispyware. Should I disable them?

I would appreciate your comments.

Regards
Gary

You are running the slowest piggiest Antivirus on the market, and Zone Alarm is not exactly wonderful either(can't configure manual port forwards for a start).

Ditch Norton's and Run AVGfree and Sygate personal firewall, both free. Then see the difference in your machine, you will be blown away. Most people that run Norton's and ZA havent tried anything else.

tweak'e
20-10-2005, 07:01 PM
ZA mail protection is not part of the free version.
yes it is part of the free ver. however is vbs only which is fairly useless.

strangly enough i agree with battlenetters comments on nortons and ZA. however ZA is one of the easiest to use which is better for beginners. nortons is not great i certainly wouldn't bother spending money on it, but if you got and it actually works........

Battleneter
20-10-2005, 07:20 PM
yes it is part of the free ver. however is vbs only which is fairly useless.

strangly enough i agree with battlenetters comments on nortons and ZA. however ZA is one of the easiest to use which is better for beginners. nortons is not great i certainly wouldn't bother spending money on it, but if you got and it actually works........

Yes well I have seen your firewall ability in other threads lol

Answer me this...... How does he set up a port forward in Zone Alarm, when it interfares with his P2P software?

Please answer , I am laughing

Battleneter
20-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Here you go tweak, just spent 20 seconds and googled it for you.

"" There are dozens of documented cases of Zone Alarm blocking DC++ even though its been properly allowed. The only fix is to uninstall ZA!!"
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8962

And I have seen dozens of threads and experienced ZA partly blocking Torrent programs as well, even though full access is gives.

Many end users use P2P software, you may not of heard but it is very popular, so yes use the wonderful zone alarm NOT!!

Any firewall that can't set a manual port forward is junk period!

Prescott
20-10-2005, 07:58 PM
you have said this 50 billion times, i think it is getting through. for a typical home user i dont think they really would use/care about DC++

Battleneter
20-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Don't defend a crap product.

Many apps need Port forwards, do you realise this?

For the record I also mentioned Torrent software.

By the way did you know that about 90% of NZ internet internation traffic is P2P trafic, so don't suggest the "average" end user won't need port forwards because I would somewhat dissagree.

And I will bring it up again, if anyone tries to explain how good ZA is, its like a car with no steeing wheel.

Prescott
20-10-2005, 08:10 PM
meh it has served me well.....

Battleneter
20-10-2005, 08:23 PM
meh it has served me well.....

I am not saying it hasn't. Although I promise you would like Sygate a lot more
(mind due the comany was just brought out my Nortons...... shudder). It is far less annoying and just as easy to use, and port forwarding :)

But I am saying ZA it is not fit for gerneral use without that basic and obvious feature.

netchicken
21-10-2005, 06:57 AM
In the latest PC User mag this month, Zonealarm is rated much higher than the equivilent Nortons, and I think was one of the best firewalls to get.

Battleneter
21-10-2005, 07:38 AM
lol yes, it makes you wonder who writes these reviews sometimes. I will just say they are wrong for not putting ZA near the bottom rather than calling the person that wrote the artical completely incompetant or anything.

A Firewall that can't port forward is not a real firewall. You have to "hope" your applications arn't effected by it, and if they are there's no way to fix it.

I suggested Sygate not Nortons BTW, it just so happens Norton's purchased Sygate this month, I hope they don't wreck the product. And as for Norton's firewall I don't believe I can comment on that without swearing.