PDA

View Full Version : Freeware PDF creators

J ZEP
20-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi guys, i guess i have a few questions really :).

To summarise what i am doing, or wanting to do, is:

I would like to add an order form to a website, so it can be printed/faxed in etc... if needed.

A: Is .pdf the best way to do this? I presume so?

B: Looking at "freeware" pdf creators i have got it down to 2 progs that i will possibly try - so any feedback or preferences on either of these would be good - "Cutepdf" - and also found "Pdf995", also noticed people recommending "Openoffice" as it has the capability to create or convert pdfs, but i think i would prefer a stand alone program for "now", rather than the openoffice suite.

C: The people i am doing this for use Macs (don't know what kind?), i also noticed that Jim B mentioned in an earlier thread:

If you are a smart operator and using an Apple Mac it has a PDF creater built into the OS X operating system

Not being at all familiar with Macs, where can i find out/look for, what o.s they are using on it and if it has a pdf creator - bearing in mind it will be the blind leading the blind with phone instructions from me, for them, as they don't appear to be very familiar with the Macs themselves, lol.

Am i on the right track here? Any ideas appreciated?

Safari
20-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Go to the Apple Menu top left corner and About this Mac
It will tell you the operating system there.
If it is OS X after creating the document go to File/Print
There is an option to Save as PDF

Rob99
20-10-2005, 12:36 PM
You can create a pdf with open office, free I think, then just put a link to that file on your webpage. Anyone no matter what OS will be able to download the form and print it.

qyiet
20-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Hehe.. I use PDFcreator (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796) for windows. It creates a print driver, and is free and open source. The only problem I've had with it is file permissions issues when you are running as a limited rights account.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I thought you were after a free .pdf creator for windows, it never occored to me that you wanted one for a mac. listen to saf..

-Qyiet

J ZEP
20-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys,

Safari: That will no doubt be most useful, most appreciated, strangely from memory, i had a look at it the other day, i don't think there was a top left menu?
And am i right in assuming that only an OS X will do the pdf anyway?
Thanks

Robb99: Thanks, yes i do believe that openoffice will do it, however if possible i would prefer not to have to install the openoffice suite just for this - a stand alone program would be my preference for now, thanks.

qyiet: Thanks, i will look into that program, you were on the right track, i am using win, its just the people who i am doing the website for have Macs, so i wondered if i/they could save the file they have already got into .pdf on their systems, hope that makes sense? Just looking at all the options... i don't even know what the order page was written in or saved in as yet either.

Thanks All :).

J ZEP
20-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Hehe.. I use PDFcreator (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796) for windows. It creates a print driver, and is free and open source. The only problem I've had with it is file permissions issues when you are running as a limited rights account.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I thought you were after a free .pdf creator for windows, it never occored to me that you wanted one for a mac. listen to saf..

-Qyiet

qyiet - after going to the link you gave for "PDF Creator", i am a little unsure what files i am supposed to download?? Can you assist me please -

There are 3 windows .exe files - Do i need to download & install all of them?

They are as follows:
PDF Creator 0.8 -

Patch02-PDFCreator-0_8_0.exe
PDFCreator-0_8_0_AFPLGhostscript.exe
PDFCreator-0_8_0_GNUGhostscript.exe

Cheers

Safari
20-10-2005, 01:44 PM
There is an Apple icon in the top left corner on all systems.
Only OS X has the inbuilt PDF creater

For OS 8 or 9 you can download a free one on the Mac
http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html

qyiet
20-10-2005, 02:00 PM
qyiet - after going to the link you gave for "PDF Creator", i am a little unsure what files i am supposed to download?? Can you assist me please -

There are 3 windows .exe files - Do i need to download & install all of them?

They are as follows:
PDF Creator 0.8 -

Patch02-PDFCreator-0_8_0.exe
PDFCreator-0_8_0_AFPLGhostscript.exe
PDFCreator-0_8_0_GNUGhostscript.exe

Cheers

Just 2,
Patch02-PDFCreator-0_8_0.exe and
either PDFCreator-0_8_0_GNUGhostscript.exe, or PDFCreator-0_8_0_AFPLGhostscript.exe.

They are using different methods to do the rendering. I've used both and can't see the difference.

-Qyiet

J ZEP
20-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Brilliant Safari, thanks, thats been a great help :) - have just talked to them on the phone and they have OS X - and they are now able to send me the order file in .pdf!!!! Saves me installing somthing on the pc :). The only thing is, i have a feeling they haven't got the image logo on the order form unfortunatley, so i guess i won't be able to edit their version of the .pdf to add the image, even if i did have a prog for it, as isn't that the point of .pdfs, that they are not editable? I guess the only option would be to use their system to edit the .pdf file and add the image to the original?

Thanks Safari, you have saved me some time, most appreciated.

J ZEP
20-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks qyiet, thats helpful, as i may still need that prog yet...

cheers

beama
20-10-2005, 05:24 PM
heres another free pdf creator

http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm

qyiet
21-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Heh, great minds thing alike beama, and fools seldom differ, so which are we? ;D

(I linked to the sourceforge download page for the same program)

-Qyiet