PDA

View Full Version : CPU, memory and hardrive question

shomenno
20-10-2005, 08:19 AM
A couple of quick questions regarding the computer I am slowly assembling and purchasing parts for.

I have decided to opt for a SATA type hard drive because of initial performance increases in data transfer. At this stage a RAID array does not interest me. Am I able to install just one of these drives, and if so where would I plug it with regards to the SATA connectors on the mother board. Would I just plug it into connector 0 on the motherbaord (there are four in total)?

The second question refers to my CPU which is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800. Am I able to install just one stick of 1 gig DDR 400 memory into the motherbaord. Or does it still have to be two sets in which case I have to purchase two 512 sets of memory? The motherbaord is a Foxconn socket 939.

Thanks ever so much for you help

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Yup, you can use 1 SATA on a system.

I would plug it into the SATA 1 or SATA 2 connection.

(The others maybe for RAID).

Then put it on AUTO in the BIOS.

If the mobo can take up to 4 GB, and has 4 slots, I cant see why it cant take 1 1gb simm.

Only thing is, it wont be running in dual channel mode, if the system supports dual channel memory. Altho, the manual for the mobo, should tell you whether you can or not.

shomenno
20-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Ok thanks for that.

By the looks of the manual dual channel needs to have at least two memory modules inserted. I am pickingthe dual channel is preferable to single channel - is it faster?

Thanks

shomenno
20-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Ok thanks for that.

By the looks of the manual dual channel needs to have at least two memory modules inserted. I am pickingthe dual channel is preferable to single channel - is it faster?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Yup, I would say dual channel is better/faster than single channel.

In what way, I dont know. Maybe for just booting up a system. I haven't noticed any speed difference anywhere else on this system, (besides when it boots up), as this system uses 2 512 mb simms, in dual channel mode.

That's right dual channel mobos usually have 4 slots. and some are coloured coded (the slots), so you know which slots to put the ram in to enable dual channel. Maybe if I got 2 more simms, I would notice something.

If you do decide to use dual channel, make sure the simms are the same brand, and speed.