PDA

View Full Version : formatted C drive but now can't find D drive partition is not there

sha49
20-10-2005, 06:04 AM
I recently formatted C drive it works fine now. My problem is with the D drive, the manufacturer suggested running a data recovery software to be able to get my info and pictures back and then format it through fdisk. He said that he doesn't know if it is the files or the partition that is bad but that a data recovery program can try to get these back? How do I go about this? Which program is the best for windows 98?

Thanks for any help that can be given!
Sha :help:

Renmoo
20-10-2005, 07:06 AM
I'm no pro in HDD field, but I suggest you providing us more information. How do your HDD connect to your Mobo? Via SATA, PATA (IDE) etc.? RAID configuration etc.? Brand / model of your HDD etc.

Cheers :)

drcspy
20-10-2005, 08:05 AM
anything that'll do a 'raw' recovery..........try 'easy recovery pro'.......

sha49
20-10-2005, 10:02 AM
I am not sure how it connects or what the difference is. how do I find out? The hard drive is made by maxtor:Max-Blast plus2 version 1.00.

Battleneter
20-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I recently formatted C drive it works fine now. My problem is with the D drive, the manufacturer suggested running a data recovery software to be able to get my info and pictures back and then format it through fdisk. He said that he doesn't know if it is the files or the partition that is bad but that a data recovery program can try to get these back? How do I go about this? Which program is the best for windows 98?

Thanks for any help that can be given!
Sha :help:

It is likely your "D" drive disappeared because it was (and may well still be) compressed. I can't remember exactly how, but you may need to run drivespace and remount the drive. Your compression data would have been on C drive.

All your data may still be there. I can't remember how to do this, and don't run 98 anymore. Maybe some else can list how.

Battleneter
20-10-2005, 07:17 PM
PS I doubt the issue is hardware related if you only formatted C:, its far more likely that it was compressed as many older machines were to save hard drive space.

sha49
21-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I kept postponing my pc hardware class so not too kean there. I believe that the stuff is still there if I could get my hardware to be recognized by my computer. It seems to still be vacationing with my pictures somewhere. Could someone please tell me what a partition is? Why a partitian would not be there if C drive was formatted? Why the manufacturer was saying that that is the probable reason why I could not retrieve my data?? How do I get a partitian to show back up if my computer doesn't even recognise my D drive?

Thank you to any one that can help!! Suggestions are much appreciated!!!!!!

Graham L
21-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Steady on guys, give the questioner a chance. The computer runs Windows 98. So it's not likely to be a SATA drive, or in a RAID cluster. :D
A "compressed drive" should still be visible, even without loading drivespace, as the one very big file on the partition. Which should still be there.

sha49:

Have you only one "physical" hard disk in the computer, even though you had (:() two "drives", called C: and D: in Microsoftese. ?

Partitions are the separate disks you have when you haven't got separate hard disks. They are set up using a utility called FDISK. They become useful to an operating system when they are formatted -- a process which builds a file system.

How did you "reformat" the C drive? I assume you booted into DOS. Then what did you type then? "FDISK"? , or "FORMAT C:"?

FORMAT could not have harmed the D: "drive" or its contents unless told to. I'm afraid you might have used FDISK, and created one "drive" partition, thus deleting the two partitions which were the previous "drives".

FDISK is unlikely to be usable to fix this. A Linux partitioner would have more chance.

sha49
21-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I actually took dos so I did the format c. The computer came with one hard drive and then the other hard drive was bought and installed. It is from maxtor thus the c and d drives. That is what I thought I thought that how can I lose the info on d if I only formated c???? I had actually forgotten about fdisk untill the guy from maxtor asked me to run it to see if the partition was there.

Thanks for barring with me on my answers!

Sha

EX-WESTY
21-10-2005, 10:03 PM
I'd guess you have reinstalled Win 98 on C
Reboot the machine and head into the BIOS
You may have to press F8 or DEL during a boot to enter

Have a look and see if the other drive is being detected in the BIOS setup.
Reformatting the C drive shouldn't have done anything to the other drive, my pick is that the computer currently see it as connected.

:2cents:

Graham L
22-10-2005, 01:15 PM
The C: and D: "names" are nothing to do with Maxtor. They are a DOS/Windows thing. ;)

From DOS, FDISK /STATUS will tell you what drives are visible to the low level of the OS, even if they aren't visible in Windows.

I take it that you actually had the two drives installed, and running -- this is how you got your files on the D: drive -- and the problem started with the format of the C: Windows drive.

Are the drives both on the same cable? If so, have a good look at the jumpers on the back of the drives. The C: drive should be jumpered as "MA", and the other as "SL".

If the C: (Windows) drive has a cable to itself, and the other shares a cable with a CD drive, again, check the jumpers. For the second HD to be D:, it must be the "MA" drive and the CD "SL".

wuppo
22-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I am not sure how it connects or what the difference is. how do I find out? The hard drive is made by maxtor:Max-Blast plus2 version 1.00.
Maxblast is a hard drive utility from Maxtor. If your computer motherboard was not capable of directly supporting your "new D drive", maxblast software would have been installed to take enable the D drive to work. In this case, you will not be able to access the D drive until the maxblast software is re-installed. Can you find the person who origionally installed the D drive? While you can get the maxblast software off the maxtor.com site, if you don't utilise it correctly, you could loose all your data off your D drive.